October 13, 2011

Choosing Topics for a Random Blog: Guest Post

Please welcome Lisa Pollard from Insignificant at Best, a wonderful blog full of random topics and interesting takes. Lisa and I met through the Ultimate Blog Challenge and quickly became friends. As I mentioned in yesterday's post, Lisa's blog became "a favorite thanks to the way she weaves together randomness with beautiful threads of humor, honesty, and wit."

Enjoy her post!

*****

Choosing Topics for a Random Blog
I have to tell you that I was thrilled and honored when Tia asked me to write a guest post for her blog!  I’ve been a fan of the Depression Cookies blog for a while now and just recently bought the book (which I can’t wait to read!!!).  So getting to guest post for Depression Cookies is a real treat (no pun intended…lol)!

When I asked her what she’d like me to write about, one of her suggestions was “How do you choose your topics, since you post about different things and don't, in general, have a theme?”.  To be honest, when I decided to start blogging, I realized there was no way I could write a “niche” blog.  I love to talk and share my opinions on all kinds of things, so I knew “niche” blogging wasn’t for me.  Like I say in the About Me section of my site “I’m not one to stick to a single subject, my mind doesn’t work that way, so neither does my blog”.

I actually started blogging back in 2009, but it didn’t quite take.  I could never think of anything to write and when I did, half the time it was some type of self-discovery crap nobody would want to read. Not even me.

Needless to say my blogging was “sporadic” at best.  Looking back now, I realize it was because I was in a pretty deep depression.  2009 was by far the worst year of my life, and I wasn’t ready to share all of my darkest thoughts with the world.
Then April of this year I sat down and wrote a post called Anyone Still Out There?!? and that was it.  I was off and running and I haven’t looked back since.  I honestly don’t know what changed, other than the fact that I’m in a much better place in my life, but I’m glad it did.  I’ve met a lot of really amazing people through blogging, like Tia, and I’ve found it to be insanely therapeutic! 

Okay, wow, I’ve gone incredibly off course here.  Back to the topic at hand.
I’d like to say I have this genius way of coming up with blog post ideas, but I don’t.  I share what makes me laugh, I share the things I love (music, products, websites, etc.), or I just plain talk about whatever is on my mind that day.

However, if you’re looking for an easy way to come up with post topics, a way that requires little thought on your part, do a Google search for Blog Challenges.  This was one of the very first things I did, and it worked out really well for me.  I found a 30 Day Blog Challenge, which allowed me to share with my readers a lot about myself.  I gained a lot of followers during that time and people seemed to really like it.
One other trick I have up my sleeve is a list of topics I want to write about.  I have a blog post draft where I write down all the things that come to me and seem like good post topics. Sometimes they don’t pan out, but for the most part the list hasn’t failed me.  Plus, if I’m ever at a loss, I have a “go to” list of ideas.  I’m constantly on the lookout for ideas to add to this list, too. Recently, I was in the car and realized how annoying the electronic signs on the freeway were and it turned into a guest post for another blog.  I currently have a post about my annoying co-worker waiting in the wings.  She’s… interesting, to say the least.  LOL Just be aware of your surroundings and constantly on the lookout for things you want to share with your readers.

I’ve also gotten ideas from reading other people’s blogs (e.g., my Bad Poetry Day post I wrote thanks to Tia).  Surprisingly once the blogging bug bit me, it really hasn’t been a problem.  Though I’ve only been actively blogging for about 5 months now, so check back with me next year. ;)
Any questions?  Please ask away in the comments below!  Any suggestions on how to come up with topics that you’d like to share?  Please share in the comments below!

5 comments:

lisa said...

Thank you so much for allowing me to guest post on your wonderful blog! *hugs*

Tia Bach said...

Such a pleasure to have you! Let's do it again sometime. ;-)

lisa said...

Oh definitely! :)

Jennifer Wolfe said...

Nicely done, Lisa! I also keep a small notebook with blog ideas, as well as a note on my iPhone. I would also recommend Julia Cameron's writing books as great writing sources.

Tia Bach said...

Thanks for stopping by, MamaWolfe!