April 21, 2017

R = Rose Red #AtoZChallenge

It's Friday, my favorite day of the week. I look forward to the weekend and spending time with my husband and children. And it's also a time to refuel for the next week ahead.

Throughout this month, I've been posting about what fairy tale characters can teach us today as part of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. When applicable, I've also been sharing about my upcoming serial series with my writing partners (Jo Michaels, Kelly Risser, and NL Greene): War and Pieces: Frayed Fairy Tales.

Without further ado...

R = Rose Red

Rose Red isn't as well known in popular culture as her sister, Snow White, especially since the Disney version drew inspiration from the Grimm fairy tale, not the German one. In the German tale, Rose Red is the more outspoken and lively sister, and both sisters fall in love with bear princes and marry.

What can we learn from Rose Red today?

In the German tale, the sisters save a bear by letting him into their home to warm by the fire on a very cold night. They see in him something beyond his terrifying exterior. We should all listen to our hearts instead of letting our eyes make decisions about a person. Our eyes can take in physical appearance and facial expressions, but only our hearts and minds can get to know someone deeper.

No matter what they are faced with, Snow White and Rose Red work together, without rivalry or jealousy, and in the end, they both marry a prince. I've always said that women have been the best part of my life--and the worst. We tend to be our own worst enemy sometimes. As the oldest of three girls and the mom to three girls, that makes me sad. We could take over the world if only we'd work together and put our differences aside. 

Do you know the story of Rose Red?

***

On April 24, the first episode of our serial series--War and Pieces: Frayed Fairy Tales--will debut with Rose Red's story as written by me and NL Greene. She will face an evil further empowered by her own insecurity. You can pre-order your copy here now.

And the cover...


The synopsis:

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there were zombies…

That’s how it all started. Authors have created a major problem with stories like Cinder, The Dark Queen, and Asleep, and it’s wreaking havoc here in Ever After. Our queens are fighting for their lives.

Rather like Mother Nature, keeper of the fine balance that’s life in your world, tales that begin with “Once upon a time” were never meant to be messed with.

Now, Ariel is underwater with all the defenses she’s been launching, Aurora hasn’t slept in weeks, and Rapunzel is tangled in… Well, I can’t even begin to tell you.

Rather than try, I’ll let you see for yourself. You and I will talk again afterwardif I survive long enough. So, as our fateful story begins:

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away…

Note: A new episode will publish every other day.

For more information,

1 comment:

Jo Michaels said...

LOVE!! I can't wait for folks to learn more about this princess :) Awesome post!