April 10, 2017

H = Hansel & Gretel #AtoZChallenge

Happy Monday!

I'm just back from Roanoke Author Invasion. It was amazing. I will do a detailed post with pictures later.

But now it's back to the Blogging from A to Z Challenge and my theme of fairy tales and what we can learn from them today.

For today, I chose Hansel and Gretel. It's one of the first fairy tales I remember from my childhood. It's a typical one to share with kids for the whole concept the don't-take-candy-from-strangers idea.

H = Hansel & Gretel

What would a post be for Hansel without Gretel. And I didn't remember just how dark this tale is. When I looked it up to refresh my memory, I saw that the mother sent Hansel and Gretel out into the forest to die. Eep. And the witch was obviously a cannibal. You know... typical childhood tale. LOL.

What can Hansel & Gretel teach us today?

If something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is. Very few of my blessings in life have been easy. Someone who is offering you an amazing deal for little cost from you is probably a cheat. Never be blinded by big promises. Do your research and know that the best things in life take work. Hard work and dedication. 

And of course... Don't Trust Strangers. We tell our children this all the time, but it's a great lesson for adults as well. We should always keep an open mind to new friendships and be kind to strangers, but there's kindness and then there's handing over your life savings to someone you don't know. Know what I mean?

Never give up hope and always fight to find a way. Hope is sometimes the only thing we have in our darkest moments, but try to find a way to bolster it... keep going. 

Do you remember how dark the story of Hansel and Gretel is?

***

Throughout this month, I will be featuring an appropriate Season of the upcoming serial series, War and Pieces: Frayed Fairy Tales. Today, I am highlighting Season 3, which tells the tale of Hansel and Gretel a few years later as they face something even more terrifying. This one is written by NL Greene and Jo Michaels.

And the cover...


For more information, visit

2 comments:

Marcy said...

Frayed Fairy Tales looks interesting. I'll have to look into that. And you're absolutely right. Hansel and Gretel is a very dark tale. I think it's only the idea of a whole entire house made of candy that makes it palatable to a child. :)

Jo Michaels said...

I have to say, Hansel and Gretel was my favorite relationship to tackle. ;) My lessons were the same as yours. :P