April 1, 2017

A = Ariel #AtoZChallenge

Welcome to a month of fairy tales characters to celebrate April and the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. If you want to know more about my theme, please visit my A to Z Challenge Theme Reveal post.


A = Ariel

At the basis of most fairy tales is a moral or lesson, and surprisingly most of the them really stand up to the test of time. It's what made me so excited to explore fairy tales in my latest book series (along with authors Jo Michaels, NL Greene, and Kelly Risser): War and Pieces, Frayed Fairy Tales. But more about that throughout the month.

One of the characters we took past their tale = Ariel.

Disney's The Little Mermaid came out in 1989, during my senior year of high school. And as much as I wanted to be grown up and spread my wings, I couldn't wait to see it. And of course my three daughters have each fallen in love with it.


What can we still learn from Ariel today?

Never lose your sense of wonder. Lee Ann Womack even sings about it in her I Hope You Dance song, but I digress... Every new thing Ariel finds is special and exciting, and it makes her yearn to discover where the things come from. In the current day of technology overload, we should still spend time in nature and discovery, outside of the screen.

But another important lesson. Be careful what you wish for, and the price you pay. The allure of something better just over the next hill can keep us from appreciating what we have. 

Okay, and I can't help but mention one other thing. We should never underestimate the power of our individual voice. Every generation has a reason for their voice, and change can't happen without it.

What did Ariel teach you about life?


***

For a few letters during this challenge, I will share covers or other fun tidbits from a season of our upcoming War and Pieces: Frayed Fairy Tales collection. There will be ten seasons released in three episode chunks starting April 24, 2017. It's all about what happens after the fair tale, after Once Upon A Time... oh, and did I mention each story has a paranormal twist to the tale?

Today, I'll share the cover of Ariel (Season 2)...



To find out more, visit www.frayedfairytales.com

1 comment:

Jo Michaels said...

Love Ariel!! She's one of my favorites <3 The grass (seaweed?) isn't always greener is such a valuable lesson. You never know what someone else is dealing with behind the scenes. I think it also says to be careful using anything unnatural to change your situation. Oftentimes, what appears to be the easiest path isn't. LOVE THIS POST!! WRITE ON!!