November 3, 2011

Where I'm From, Part Two: Tia Bach

If you missed Part One, check it out here.

My version of the poem, Where I'm From.

 *****

Where I’m From

I am from Santa Claus figurines, good Southern food, and stories.

I am from many homes decorated with memories and love, structure and furnishings of little consequence. My childhood is wrapped in images of a family laughing together and holding tight during moments of tears.

I am from every flower and tree south of the Mason-Dixon line, spots of beauty sprinkled through my life. From a poet mom who described trees and flowers in such beautiful detail, the words meant more than the objects.

I am from unicorns and books, from Silverthorne and Beach, from five generations female strong. I am from deep faith and conservative values, the belief in hard work and dedication.

Five Generations (the last four, all first-born women)

I am from Old Time Religion, Marching to Zion, and How Great Thou Art. I am from Dallas Silverthorne and Angela Beach Silverthorne, from the ones before them who helped mold two amazing parents.

I am from depression cookies, chicken-n-dumplings, and way too much food to do justice to here. From a woman who poured love into everything she did, from food to writing and so much more, and a man dedicated to building a strong foundation of love and success.

I am from a professional baseball player, a woman before her time, a mechanic, a homemaker, a writer, an engineer... from blood, sweat, and tears.

Mom and Dad, the early years

I am from moving boxes and new places, parents who believed in us, and coming together during the hard times.

I am from moments of pain, laughter, tears, joy, loneliness, gratitude, and everything in between. I’m from people who found humor and love the most important of all things. They grew me right.

3 comments:

Nana said...

Dad loved this as much as I did! Yes we are a mixed up bag of goodies, aren't we?

Nadja Notariani said...

Just lovely, Tia...

Tia Bach said...

A mixed bag makes for more fun! Love you both.

Nadja, Thank you so much for commenting and stopping by.