November 19, 2011

What's in a Name? The Meaning of Tia

I’ve always appreciated having a unique name. It’s one of the reasons I named one of my daughters, Reagan, although it’s since grown in popularity.

My daughter was goofing off at the computer and decided to search meanings of Tia. The results were interesting.

TIA = Transient Ischemic Attack
A TIA is caused by a clot; the only difference between a stroke and TIA is that with TIA the blockage is transient (temporary). TIA symptoms occur rapidly and last a relatively short time. Unlike a stroke, when a TIA is over, there’s no permanent injury to the brain.

TIA = Truth in Advertising
Requirement by the Federal Trade Commission as well as various state and local government agencies, that advertisements not make misleading, false, or deceptive claims.

TIA = Thanks in Advance
An Internet/texting term

TIA = Aunt in Spanish

TIA = This is Africa
TIA was used this way in the movie, Blood Diamond.

TIA = Princess in Greek

Except for the mini-stroke and Africa references, Tia suits me quite well. I believe I present myself honestly (Truth in Advertising) and show gratitude (Thanks in Advance). I’m sure my husband would agree I can be a princess from time to time, and I am Aunt to four nieces (number five is due in January) and three nephews.

To make my name more unique, Mom put Cher as my middle name. Why, you might ask. It's simple... she was watching The Sonny & Cher Show when she went into labor. Hey, it could be worse. I was born in 1972, and the seventies were known for some, shall we say, interesting names. *smiles*

What does you name mean? Does it suit you?

6 comments:

Beth said...

This post made me think of the actress Poppy Montgomery who was born Poppy Petal Donahue. Poppy's sisters are named Rosie Thorn, Daisy Yellow, Lily Belle and Marigold Sun.

Christine said...

I was named after both my grandmothers. My first name is Virginia (although that grandmother changed her name later) and my middle name, Christine, is a family middle name on my dad's side. I named my first daughter simply names I liked, although it turned out that her first name was my husband's great-grandmother's name (no one knew) and her middle name is also his sister's middle name. For the youngest, I did family names on purpose. Sophie was my great-grandmother, and Inez after my grandmother who I was very close to.

Tia Bach said...

That's hilarious, Beth... I'd never heard that. Too funny.

Christine, It's funny the ritual we go through with names.

My oldest: Jacqueline Mary (Jackie because we thought she'd be a boy and wanted Jack and Mary after my Aunt, who was more like my grandmother)

middle: Reagan Dallas (started as a joke with my dad who loved Ronald Reagan, but the name grew on me. Dallas is my dad's name.)

baby: Madeleine Elizabeth (hubby picked Madison, but I thought it was too trendy. We both liked Maddie. Elizabeth after his grandmother and my Aunt)

Julie Glover said...

My name is taken from the Roman family name Julius. So does that mean I'm emperor-like? I don't know. It does suit me, though - at least the sound of it I like.

Anonymous said...

Mary Katherine, for a grandmother and a great-grandmother. I like it just fine, but younger people laugh when they hear it and say, "Are you a nun?" Nope. Just a Southern Protestant of a certain age whose family recycles names.

Tia Bach said...

Julie, Emporer-like... kinda cool. ;-)

Mary, I love it. Sounds regal to me.

Thanks, ladies, for showing the comment love!