November 17, 2011

What Makes Me Swoon: From Husband to Vampires to Volleyball Players


Other than my daddy, my heart has only belonged to one man... my husband. I met him at eighteen, third day of college. Wasn't looking, but what a special find. He's handsome, because let's just be honest, you aren't initially attracted to a person's soul, but there's so much more. He's kind, considerate, smart, funny, charming, laid-back... I could go on and on. He leaves his clothes on the floor and opened chip bags laying around, but perfection is boring.

Seeing him being a dad to our three girls has only strengthened my adoration. I was fortunate to have a loving dad, and I'm glad I was able to gift my girls with the same. It takes a special man to raise girls, and he's spoiling them. They are going to be very picky about future husbands, and for that I'm also grateful.

I had a crush here and there through the teenage years, but I can't remember names or even faces. Moving around a lot will do that to you. But I do remember the following crushes vividly:

Kevin Bacon, Footloose. Never have a pair of faded denim jeans so perfectly shaped to a man's behind. I mean, man was he a good dancer.

Patrick Swayze, Dirty Dancing. I never considered dancing on the floor before that. Sad that he left us so soon. When he beckoned to Jennifer Grey by simply calling her over with his finger, I swooned.

Jason Patric, Lost Boys. The only time I've ever wanted to be Jami Gertz. Something so attractive and endearing about him. I might have dreamed about him, except I couldn't sleep for weeks after seeing that movie as a teen.

The actors in the volleyball scene of Top Gun. Although the only single time I've ever been attracted to Tom Cruise was in this movie, the volleyball scene was the best. The faces blurred, but the bodies... come to think of it, this was the only time I've been attracted to any of these actors. What happened to Val Kilmer anyway?

Tom Wopat, Dukes of Hazzard. John Schneider never did a thing for me, but I had a poster of Tom Wopat. Don't judge.

Lee Majors, Six Million Dollar Man. Handsome as he is, it was all in the eyes. He was my James Bond.

Pierce Bronson, Remington Steele. Speaking of James Bond... I feel in love over and over again with Pierce in this television series.

Bruce Willis, Moonlighting and Die Hard. I have a soft spot for funny men, and there was something very endearing about him. Then Die Hard made him sexy.

This all makes me wonder who my daughters will list someday. Just please tell me the height of their crushes will not be one of the Jonas brothers.

Who was your teenage celebrity crush?

9 comments:

Margi said...

Oh, the list goes on! Ralph Macchio, Michael J. Fox, Johnny Depp (still have that one!), George Michael, Bobby Brown. Mm.

kelly said...

Ooooo... the list is pretty big. Johnny Depp, Michael J. Fox, Kirk Cameron, Dirk Benedict (from the A-Team) Ha!, Don Johnson, David Addison from Moonlighting, Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, Val Kilmer (in Real Genius) so many names, so little time. :)

Tia Bach said...

Kelly & M, good lists! I can't believe I forgot some of these. Any of the guys from the Outsiders would be perfect. And, yes, Val Kilmer in Real Genius. Still begs the question, what did happen to Val Kilmer!?!?

Thanks for stopping by!

Liz said...

I can see my high school locker now! Michael J. Fox, River Phoenix, Johnny Depp, C. Thomas Howell.

Danielle said...

The guys from New Kids on the Block (I was actually younger than 10 when they were popular the first time) Leonardo DiCaprio was the major one of my high school years. Then David Boreanaz and James Marsters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Johnny Depp is my crush now. :)

Danielle said...

Oh, I can't believe I forgot the Backstreet Boys. Howie D. was my favorite, though he is nine years older than me. Sweet, sweet, Sweet Howie D.

Tia Bach said...

Danielle-Ah, yes, the boy bands. I had a date take me to N'SYNC. Bad move, I was much more interested in them than him.

Liz-River Phoenix, oh yes. Stand by Me. He was gone too soon.

Thanks, ladies, for stopping by and sharing!

Fairview said...

Wow, you and I probably read the same Tiger Beat issues. My list is strikingly similar to yours!

Tia Bach said...

Ah, Tiger Beat... ;-)