November 23, 2011

Thankful for the Big and Small Things: ROW 80 Check In

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I am focusing on gratitude. Today, I packed my three kids in a car at 4am to avoid DC traffic. If you've read this blog before, that's enough said on the topic. Just in case you haven't, please check out my post: Death, DC Traffic, and Public Speaking.

We are heading to my mother's house for Thanksgiving, but all my friends and family will be in my thoughts.

I am grateful for many things. First the big things, and then a fun list of the small things.

The Big Things
* My three beautiful daughters.
* A wonderful marriage to a great husband.
* My friends and family, both far and near.
* The freedom we enjoy in America, and to those who put their lives on the line to protect it.
* Health. I'd be especially grateful for more of it since my family is in a two-week spree of at least one person being sick.
* My writing community. Your unselfishness is inspiring.
* All the places I've lived. Beyond the people who have touched my life, I also have experiences I would never trade.
* My faith, and my ability to use it for good.
* People who choose to put good vibes out into the world. Negativity is easy.

The Small Things
* DVD players and all electronic entertainers (I am, after all, packing three kids in a car for six hours).
* Mechanical pencils. I hate a dull pencil, and these have saved me hours of sharpening.
* Food, in so many shapes and sizes, but especially baked goods.
* Books. They've brought both entertainment and knowledge into my life.
* Hair Dryer/curling iron combination. Again, I'm all about efficiency.
* Computers, although it can be a love/hate relationship. I can't imagine life without them.
* Red ink pens. Editing just wouldn't be the same without them.
* Elastic and cotton. So much of my wardrobe would be obsolete without these materials.
* Fake flowers. Unfortunately, I kill the real ones.
* Vacuum cleaners. Not only do they suck up filth, but they teach those little toy pieces a lesson every now and again (and my kids for leaving them defenseless).
* Slip-on shoes. Have I mentioned efficiency yet?
* Diet Coke. I don't drink coffee, so consider it my cup of joe.

I'm sure I've missed many, but the list has put me in the right mindset to hang my head on Thanksgiving day and truly say thanks.

*****

I am also thankful for my ROW80 writer friends and for our fearless leader, Kait Nolan.

Quick ROW80 Update

Writing/Blogging: I wrote five posts in advance so I could enjoy the holidays. A lot of writing, but little went to my WIPs. I hope to get some writing done this weekend and maybe even some writing during the two six-hour car trips.

Miscellaneous: I'm taking books and hope to get some catch up reading in.

Exercise: I am running a 5K Turkey Trot Thanksgiving morning so I can eat, eat, eat. All my no sugar rules go out the window for one day. I am visiting my mother after all.

Hope all my ROW80 friends have great updates and a lovely Thanksgiving. A special cheer and well wishes to those doing NaNo. The finish line's in sight.

5 comments:

Julie Glover said...

Enjoy your holidays! By the way, I hate mechanical pencils - love the real thing. But I don't drink coffee either; Coke is it. I'm thankful for big and small stuff too. Right now, it's a toss-up on whether I'm more grateful for my family or my laptop. Just kidding! ;)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the goals that you've set for yourself and hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Tia Bach said...

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you both had a lovely Thanksgiving.

Not much writing the last few days, but I'm enjoying family and fun. It's good for the soul.

Em said...

Thank you for your comment Tia and I am sorry I havn't been around as much as usual....head buried in NaNo!

I am really excited that you might join us next year, I have had a great month. A belated Happy Thanksgiving and hope your journeys went well!

Tia Bach said...

Thanks, Em, for stopping by. Things have been so crazy, so I took a few days off from social media. Back to the grind tomorrow!

Hope you had a lovely holiday. I always enjoy dropping by your blog and checking in. ;-)