November 21, 2011

From Heartbeat to Heartbreak: Passion Projects


For those of you who aren't familiar, The Business of Being Born is a 2008 documentary executive produced by Ricki Lake. It details the contemporary experience of childbirth in the United States: "Focusing on New York City, the film reveals that there is much to distrust behind hospital doors and follows several couples who decide to give birth on their own terms."

Passion is an interesting idea. It should be unwavering, full or powerful emotion. It's common to get passionate about children, from giving birth to every milestone in their lives. From the moment we see the heartbeat on the screen, we love them and they become our world. I can think of few things I'm as passionate about as my children.

My passion project... writing a book with my mother. I'm passionate about family and relationships. Throughout the years, I was amazed to find families who drifted apart and went their separate ways. Few things make me sadder. I truly believe this is the only path for some. Still, for others, it's the easy path. Relationships are hard work. The more you love someone and open yourself up to them, the more they can hurt you.

That's why our dear children break our hearts constantly. It's our job as parents to love them anyway. I feel the same about my own parents. They aren't perfect, but nobody is. I do believe they did everything in our best interests, whether I liked it or not. Did they make mistakes? Absolutely! Am I making mistakes with my children? Absolutely! I hope they'll love me anyway. I know I'll love them through their mistakes.

The more I saw pain in people's relationships, particularly moms and daughters, the more I wanted to write a book with my mom. One that showcased how different you can think and feel and still end up coming together in the end. I have three daughters, and I want to have a relationship with them forever. Not just for the 18 years they are forced to live with me.

Ten years, through all kinds of obstacles, Mom and I worked on this novel, Depression Cookies. We never gave up. We both felt passionately that we had stumbled on something unique, something people could embrace and care about. When agents said they loved it, but didn't know how to sell it in this tough market, we just heard they loved it.

Mom and I couldn't be prouder of our little book that could, but maybe the years we poured our hearts into it has a little something to do with it.

If you haven't, take a moment to visit our Depression Cookies website.

What's your passion project?

4 comments:

Deniz Bevan said...

Thanks for sharing the background of the book - ten years, wow. I feel so rushed all the time, as if there are these invisible deadlines to completing my novels. I've got to stop doing that. Linger in the drafting stage, where the real fun is :-)

Tia Bach said...

Thanks, Deniz. We really poured a lot of ourselves into it. At times, it felt like we'd never be done. I'm trying to write a bit quicker. 10 years per project is a bit long. ;-)

I appreciate you stopping by!

Anonymous said...

That's a wonderful project. I wish my mother and I had worked together on a book, even if it had been for just the two of us. I am too soon old, too late smart.

Tia Bach said...

I will never regret writing this book or spending the hours talking about it with my mom. Not only did I learn a lot about my family, I learned a lot about myself.