November 2, 2011

My Last Meal: Surrounded by Food and Family

Today's NaBloPoMo prompt:

If you knew that whatever you ate next would be your last meal, what would you want it to be?

Food is a subject near and dear to my heart. My best memories are sitting around the kitchen table, reveling in food and family. Still today, we make meal times special. I'm not the cook my mom is, but I try and duplicate the family bonding parts.

Between bites, we talk about our days and play imagination games. One of my favorites... we dump small objects in the middle of the table. Each person picks an object. Then we go around and tell a story using the pieces as a prompt. The last person to go finishes the story. The items can be anything from a penny to a miniature horse or even a beautiful stone.

My last meal would start and end with what's most important... family. Mom would be the cook, no sense in wasting my last meal by having any less.

Appetizer: Sushi (Mom hates sushi, would have to order this)my favorite, a Mt. Fuji roll (avocado & crab stick inside, grilled salmon with mayo outside)

Salad: Spring Mix with sliced strawberries, crunchy Chow Mein noodles, and poppy seed dressing

Soup: Chicken-n-Dumplings

Main Meal: Steak, baked potato (butter, sour cream, cheese, and bacon), and fresh green beans cooked in butter & seasonings.

Dessert: Coconut Custard Pie... two slices, why the heck not? And a depression cookie for old time's sake.

After-dinner drink: Hot Sangria

Poor Mom, cooking all day for her daughter's last meal. Although I doubt she'd have it any other way. I'd settle for canned soup and crackers to spend my last meal surrounded by the people I love.

What would be your last meal?

5 comments:

Jess said...

My last meal would definitely include sushi as well :)

Tia Bach said...

One of the few things I need to eat out... wish I could figure out how to make my own. Seems so complicated.

Thanks for stopping by, Jess!

Beth said...

Sushi is not hard to do -- wish I could teach you. Try to find a class in your area. :-) Although turkey is not my favorite, I think I would take the comfort of the traditional Thanksgiving menu with turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, pumpkin, and cranberry sauce. And more pumpkin with a pumpkin pie for dessert.

Julie Glover said...

I'd want my mom to cook my last meal too! Deep-fried shrimp and fish. Can I have her chicken-fried steak too? Why not! Double the gravy.

Tia Bach said...

Beth, I wish you could teach me, too!! I hear you on your choices... I'm in the "Thankgiving meal" kind of mood for most of November and December.

Julie, If it's a last meal, let's fry and gravy it up! :-)

Thanks for stopping by!