June 14, 2011

Tub-Full Tuesdays: Community Support and a Request

Writing is my passion, but I'm also a people-person. Rarely do I crave alone time. When I found Blogathon and a blog community, I became more passionate about my posts. People give me energy (okay, and accountability). I'm a better writer when surrounded by my peers.

When I first moved to Maryland, I joined the Maryland Writers' Association looking for a writing community. It's been an excellent resource. In April, I attended their annual conference and met many fascinating and encouraging writers, speakers, agents, and publishers. I wrote furiously during programs, trying not to miss one single piece of advice. The highlights can be found in my blog post, Lessons from the Maryland Writers Conference.

The last program I attended that day featured L.A. Banks (Leslie Esdaile Banks), a NY Times Best-selling Author. She was funny, warm, engaging, and above all, truthful. Her first statement was, "Even if a publisher picks you up, don't quit your day job." She discussed how royalties and contracts really work, how little marketing dollars filter to the unproven or middle-level author, and the economics of making a living as a writer. I hung on her every word.


Yesterday, I found out she is suffering from late stage Adrenal Cancer. I was shocked. She was lively, entertaining, and the picture of health a few months ago. She filled my tub when I needed it in April, and now I hope to return the favor. Check out this site for information on donations to help offset her mounting medical bills.

Also consider dropping her a note of encouragement and support. Sometimes nothing is better than handwritten encouragement to lift someone's spirits and fill their tub.

Cards can be sent to:
Leslie Esdaile
c/o Tina Ryan Wise
PO Box 37189
Philadelphia, PA 19148

I am thankful to all the writers and bloggers who fill my tub and make my writing journey that much sweeter.

No comments: