June 21, 2011

Tub-Full Tuesdays: The Anchor of Friendship

Mom continues our series on what fills our tub and makes us thankful.

*****

My life is filled with an abundance of treasures: my sweetheart, children, grandchildren, extended family, memories, gifts (spiritual and physical), friends, associates, church, my canine friends, and lessons learned.
Recently, a new treasure came into my life that pushed the whole notion of relationship to a new dimension. I never knew you could immediately fall in love with someone. And no, I’m not talking about a new love interest, but falling in love with the spirit within someone, feeling you’ve known that person for an eternity−not understanding why, but completely thrilled to have been blessed with this newfound friend.
My friend, Varonda
Most of us look to our family and friends to love us. So this new experience caused me to ask myself, “How far-reaching is love?” Love is immeasurable, especially with God in control. Still, I don’t usually open myself up to new acquaintances. I’m the one at the back of the room, observing, sizing people up, and deciding who I want to approach. Then all of that changed. I’m in a meeting room area and turn to see this woman who I had just met. Immediately I realize I want to know her and be close to her. As stupid as this may sound, I knew I would love her. No, I’m not off my rocker!
So over the last few months we have become even closer; sharing our lives, which are amazingly similar despite a 25-year gap, and giving one another different perspectives on how to embrace the unpredictable. I thought I had a firm anchor set on how to define who I loved. But I realized I don’t need an anchor to set relationships at all. Maybe I need an open heart and fresh eyes to see past all the preconceived notions I have about people and stand expectant that everyone I meet might be a new best friend to add to my bountiful treasures.
Have you ever met someone you instantly knew would change your life?

5 comments:

Kate @ Teaching What Is Good said...

How delightful! Friendships, those instant "kindred spirit" friendships, give us such freedom to love someone else! It's like a breath of fresh air. I've had a few in my life and will treasure them always! Thanks for sharing this tub filler!

Tia Bach said...

Kate, you said it so well. I adore my husband, but I need my female relationships, too. And in the electronic age, I feel close to people I've never even met. How wonderful is that?

Anonymous said...

That was a Tub-full!
A quote for Angela:
"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words." Unknown
Thank you for being that friend for me...I love you, Varonda

Jenni Derryberry Mann said...

That is good teaching! Love the idea of finding new kindred spirits at every stage of life. thanks for sharing!

Tia Bach said...

Varonda, Thanks for visiting and being such a wonderful friend to Mom.

Jenni, Thanks for stopping by. Relationships (friends, children, family) are what makes life worth living.