June 26, 2011

The Influence of Dolly Parton's Writing

Dolly Parton has long been a part of my life. I grew up listening to her, and at one point, my family and I vacationed regularly in Pigeon Forge, TN. Dolly Parton is originally from nearby Sevierville, and the area never misses an opportunity to celebrate their hometown girl. I have fond memories of our visits to Silver Dollar City, an amusement park in the area now known as DollyWood.


I was excited this week to hear she has a new album, Better Day, coming out June 28th. I'm looking forward to hearing the new music and sharing it with my daughters. I'll also introduce them to some old favorites.

My mother and I have a special relationship, and Dolly Parton's Eagle When She Flies captures my mom beautifully. A sampling:

A kaleidoscope of colors
You can toss her around and round
You can keep her in you vision
But you'll never keep her down
She's a lover, she's a mother
She's a friend and she's a wife
And she's a sparrow when she's broken
But she's an eagle when she flies

Gentle as the sweet magnolia
Strong as steel, her faith and pride
She's an everlasting shoulder
She's the leaning post of life
She hurts deep and when she weeps
She's just as fragile as a child
And she's a sparrow when she's broken
But she's an eagle when she flies

Whenever I hear this song, tears form. It will always remind me of Mom. Dolly Parton is a poet, and I appreciate her writing. Songs can touch us, not just because of the voice singing, but the writer behind the voice. My mother is rarely a sparrow, but when she is, she is still beautiful. But to quote Dolly, "she's an eagle when she flies."

Please visit Dolly Parton's Imagination Library site to find out how she encourages young readers. This program makes reading accessible to preschool children in various communities.

What song reminds you of your mother or other strong woman figure?

No comments: