June 6, 2011

The Delicate Balancing Act of Life

Today I wanted to share the teaser link to our upcoming appearance on Lifetime Television's morning talk show "The Balancing Act." The show is set to air on Tuesday, June 21st at 7am/6am (EST/Central) on Lifetime. The link: http://www.thebalancingact.com/video/?v=CHS56QHE203174.

But this really got me thinking. Balance. Lately, my life has been completely out of whack. I thought I planned everything so well. I graduated college, worked in a very practical career for almost ten years, saved money, had my first child and stayed home, had all three of my children in five years, and wrote a novel. Depression Cookies was published just as my last child was entering school. I'd have all the time in the world to market, build on my writing career, and catch the eyes of important people in the industry.

Stop laughing. It was a plan. Or, rather, the plan developed as the novel took so long with life constantly getting in the way. But, then my husband announced another move. Five locations in ten years. Crazy. That's okay, I thought. While the kids are in school, I will transition all of us to a new state AND promote a newly published novel while also writing and building my author platform.

Okay, enough with the laughing. I am striving for balance. It's hard. I want to be a mom, and it is my first priority. I also want to be a good wife to my wonderful husband. One, because I love him. Two, he will still be here once the three sweethearts fly the coup. I also want our home to be a warm, loving environment that is also CLEAN! Oh, and finally, I want to be a successful author.

What I'm finding . . . there simply aren't enough hours in the day. As a newbie in the social media and marketing world, I could spend 12 hours a day just scouring the internet devouring information on all these topics. As our book has garnered more attention, like our recent award!!, I feel the pressure to keep the momentum going. Plus, we are working on the follow up novel, I'm writing a YA novel, and we are trying to grow our blog!

In addition, the more visible our book becomes the more the professional marketing gurus come out of the woodwork. Their first question: what's your budget for marketing? Hmmmmm. "Very little, so I can't wait to hear what you can do with that!" I exclaim to a ringtone.

I know I need to set a timer for two hours and write, then set it for an hour and do social media, then an hour for cleaning and bills, then . . . it just never works. The phone rings. Child forgot their lunch. Hurry! Finally settle back down and hear the dog puking on the carpet. Clean! Look up at the clock to see it's almost time to get the kids off the bus. Run! "Girls, can Mommy have an hour to wrap some things up on the computer," I say. The baby replies, "I hate the computer. I wish I could smash it." Guilt.

HELP! I'd love your suggestions for finding balance.

8 comments:

Joy Jackson said...

No need to have guilt. I'm pretty sure that you are hating the computer as much as M is these days, just tell her that you wish you could smash it too! Is there a way you can put her to work doing the social networking for you? I often think V would be better at it than I am. Hugs.

Tia Bach said...

I guess I am past the stage of letting a kid sit way too long in a nasty diaper. Heck, who am I kidding. I miss that! Thanks for taking a look, Joy. And I agree... I should hire Jackie (as an intern of course with no real pay) to do my social media for me!

Anonymous said...

Laura says:

I know it can be hard to delegate your work to others, especially when you're a perfectionist... but you can't over do it, at least not for very long. Let someone help you if you can. You, your children and family come first. Hang in there and know things will get better!!! (love the teaser btw ! So exciting!!)
------
"The balancing act on the high wire of life is only easy when we have nothing worthwhile to live for." -LB

Tia Bach said...

Laura, You are so sweet. I really want my kids and hubby front and center, but I also have enjoyed having some personal success for the first time. It's hard. I know I'll find balance, but I've never had to. Hope you and fam are doing well!

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I'll be no help with the balancing but I love the new site look, and congrats on your progress thus far! So exciting to be on Lifetime!

Tia Bach said...

Sara, thanks for stopping by! And I'll let my sister know you like the blog. I think she did a great job! We are excited to be on Lifetime, but it was a crazy experience.

Annette Gendler said...

Tia, I also have three kids and a husband and a home and I teach and I write and... I've finally realized that with a family of five it's always going to be busy and a quieter life is going to be elusive. The balance is to be found in the good fortune you and I have in being able to spend our time on things we are engaged with and really care about.

Tia Bach said...

Annette, I agree. That's why I followed up this post with my Tub-full Tuesdays, but it's always nice to be reminded. I wouldn't give up my family for anything. I guess I keep hoping to find efficiency to then find balance. I'll keep working at it knowing I really am blessed. Thanks for reading and for the reminder!