June 24, 2011

Friday Feature: My Favorite Thing I Read this Week and Why

This week I received a great email from Michele Scism's Decisive Minds blog. I was introduced to this informative blog when I signed up for the Ultimate Blog Challenge which starts July 1. Michele is the co-host for the blog challenge.

In her email, she listed quotes for keeping you motivated. It came just at the right time for the first week of summer. Every time I sat down to work, my kids whined and moaned. So, I went looking for some quotes outside the ones she provided. Ones that would motivate me.

Here they are:

"Can I be blunt on the subject? If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time - or the tools - to write. Simple as that."
Stephen King

"I learned that you should feel when writing, not like Lord Byron on a mountain top, but like a child stringing beads in kindergarten - happily, absorbed, and quietly putting one bead on after another."
Brenda Ueland

"Write down the thoughts of the moment. Those that come unsought for are commonly the most vaulable."
Francis Bacon

Each quote inspired me to keep on keeping on. Stephen King reminded me that my love of reading is part of writing. At night when I'm drawn to the book on the table, I shouldn't sit staring at the computer instead. Writing makes me happy, and my children make me happy. I can't just sit and stare at a screen hoping for inspirationg. Playing at the park, getting in the pool, and sitting down to play a board game can be inspiring. I just need my trusty notebook nearby when inspiration hits. Bonus points: I'll enjoy my kids in the meantime. This covered both the quotes from Brenda Ueland and Francis Bacon.

I have to remember inspiration cannot be forced nor can it be contained. Enjoy life, and take a moment when enjoyment brings writing prompts. If I've been playing and enjoying my kids when the need to write hits, they'll probably be more understanding than watching their Mom sit at a computer screen hoping for insight.

What motivates you?

2 comments:

Kate @ Teaching What Is Good said...

My motivation comes either from scripture passages I'm reading or from women I'm counseling or other blogs I'm reading. Sometimes I'll read something (or hear someone talk) and a reply JUMPS into my head and I just need to write it down.

When I first read your post I thought, "Oh man! I never read...I AM one of those who don't have time to read. RATS!" But then I realized that, although I am not in a place in my life to read much for pleasure (although I do read educational stuff I'll use as a homeschool mom), I actually DO read a lot - my reading is just of a different kind.

Great thoughts on letting what you read motivate what you write...and a good way to help focus what our blogs are truly about!

Tia Bach said...

Kate, scripture passages are often my source for inspiration and motivation. I need to look up some of those soon, too. I love to read, but it's getting harder and harder to fit in novels. One of the reasons I stay so active in book clubs is it keeps me reading books.

I do love all sorts of reading, and my blog reading has increased 10 fold since Blogathon. I'm loving it!

Have a lovely weekend.