June 16, 2011

Moment of Reflection: My Oldest Graduates Fifth Grade

I remember the day you were born like it was yesterday. My first child. From the moment the doctor put you in my arms, I loved you. I knew nothing about being a parent, but I knew I would die trying.

Jackie, 3 months

Your sisters soon came to join our little famly. Now we were all on this journey together. We knew we'd make mistakes, but love and community would get us through. Then, I had to send you off to school. You were leaving the nest I created to shield you. I cried the first day the bus came to pick you up. Then you graduated Kindergarten. More tears.

Jackie and her middle sister, Reagan (who seems a bit pouty)

Through all our moves and changes, you continued to grow into a beautiful, young lady. With each passing year, I see you blossom. I don't want to rush a second, but I can't wait to see the adult you become. Yesterday, I cried again when you graduated fifth grade. Wow, I have a middle-schooler. Your poor Mom is a big mess of contradictions right now. I want so much for you, but I also want to cocoon you in the safety of my arms. I am both excited and terrified for you to head to middle school.


Mom and Jackie at her fifth grade promotion ceremony

Know I will be here for you through the good, the bad, and the ugly. For every part of me I give to you, you make a part of me better. I am the woman I am today thanks to loving my children. I am blessed.

Today, take a moment to consider your blessings. Write about them. Even if you are a technical writer or a journalist who only covers sports, always flex your writing muscle by writing outside your comfort zone. You never know what will come of it.

Do you journal or write down your memories?



7 comments:

Annette Gendler said...

Thankfully, I kept a journal during my daughter's first year of life. With the next two kids I didn't have the wherewithall anymore, and now I only remember tidbits of the third child's infancy. I gave that book as a gift to my sister when she had her third and it meant a lot to her. Congrats on your daughter's 5th grade graduation! My son just graduated 8th grade and while it was a wonderful milestone, I think moments like that are always bittersweet for parents.

Tia Bach said...

Annette, I so appreciate you stopping by. Wow, I can't even imagine having a high-schooler yet. Hope you have a great summer!

Nana said...

Our Jackie is growing up into a beautiful young girl!! What happened to the last 11 years? I hope I didn't miss much. I just love these grandgirls so much!!!!

Katy Manck, MLS said...

Fifth grade was my best year EVER! I was even good in PE in fifth grade...

So glad that you're sharing time and memories with your kiddos.

**Katy M
Recommending YA books beyond the bestsellers at http://BooksYALove.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter @BooksYALove

Tia Bach said...

Katy, I moved every 2-3 years my whole life (and am now on my fifth location in 10 years with my hubby), so I don't remember a lot of great grades. I just remember middle school wasn't wonderful, so I worry about her. I wouldn't trade my memories with her for any NY Times Bestseller list (well I might trade a few moody days for that!).

And Mom, aka Nana, I love and miss you!

Kathleen said...

I kept 2 big black blank books on both our kids since they were born. I slowly wrote less and less since I got busier and busier, something I regret. Now one turns 19 in August and the other just turned 16. They get a kick out of seeing that bee stinger for a first sting, rock that came out of the ear, and multiple stories. Keep your journals. Your kids will love them later!

Tia Bach said...

Kathleen, Thanks for the encouragement (love the items you've kept). I need to be better about journaling and not just blogging!