December 27, 2011

A Break for Reading: Guest Post by my Daughter, Jackie Bach

My lovely sixth grade daughter, Jackie, is a great sport. She rarely grumbles when I ask her to write thank you notes after Christmas, and even went along with my idea to write this post.

Enjoy her thoughts on Christmas break.

*****

Mom asked me to write a post for her blog this week. Like I don't write enough when I'm in school. She didn't even give me a topic, and I was in the middle of watching A Christmas Story when she asked.

She offered to type if I told her the words, so I made the deal.

I love Christmas break because I love being with my family. My sisters are nicer than normal, so I actually like playing with them (a little). I also love being home without homework because I have more time to read what I want.

Santa and my parents got me several books. And my Nana and Papa got me a Kindle Touch and a gift card for Amazon. I can't wait to download books!

I love to read series, so Mom and I are going to sit down later and look through Amazon. I've read 26 books since school started, and they were all 400 pages or more. I hope to read a few more over Christmas.

Right now, I'm reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. It's the second book in the Hunger Games Trilogy. So far I love them and can't wait for the Hunger Games movie next year.

Christmas break is all about wearing pajamas all day, playing games with my family, watching television, and the best of all... reading a good book.

Merry Christmas!

*****

I'm thinking there's a great opportunity to sit on the couch with a book in my hand and bond silently with her! She's definitely her mother's daughter.

Not to be outdone, my other two girls wanted in on the action.

Reagan, a 4th grader and sports enthusiast, is looking forward to doing the gingerbread house that "we were supposed to do before Christmas."

Wait, I think that's more of a note to Mom than a contribution to this post.

Maddie, my first grader, said she was just looking forward to no school and being with her family. I gave her a hug. My other two girls told me to stop treating her like a baby. ;-)

From our house to yours, we hope you are enjoying this last week of 2011.

What's your favorite part of the holidays once the hustle and bustle of Christmas is over?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this story. The snide comments from your older daughters. It's so real. And sweet.

During my holiday breaks, when the kids were home, I loved just having them around more often. They always had such busy schedules.

Now, during holiday breaks, it's still the same. They're on their own, but I love it when they're around, when I get to see my grandbabies, when I get to experience my kids being adults, when we get to enjoy each other's company over a warm meal. It's a rare treat when we all can get together, so I take every second in for as long as I can.

Anonymous said...

Jackie, when I was a school librarian, I felt the same way you do about the holidays: they were a time for staying in my pajamas all day and reading. If I'd had a couple of sisters, things would have been even better. I enjoyed reading your post. (The Hunger Games is next on my To Be Read list.)

Tia Bach said...

Jackie & Kathy, Thanks for stopping by and appreciating my daughter's post. She was quite proud of herself.

Happy New Year!