July 15, 2011

Friday Feature: My Favorite Thing I Read this Week and Why

My favorite thing I read this week: a rejection letter.

Now, let's get to the why.

I want our novel to be someone's favorite read. I'm not asking for Depression Cookies to make us millionaires, be made into a movie, be on Oprah (especially since her talk show is ending), or become a literary giant taught in public schools for years to come. Don't get me wrong, those things wouldn't be horrible, but our true intention was for people to read it, enjoy it, and let us know.

I love reading and the wonderful feeling of a good book, being transported and caring about the people in a new time, place, or situation. We want passionate reader reactions more than industry acceptance. We knew the odds. Not only is it our first novel, it doesn't fall in line with the current writing trends. We won't be competition for the paranormal writers, although teenage girls seem paranormal at times. Still, women make up between 60-70% of book buyers according to various data crunchers. Our story is written by women, about women, and for women.

Industry acceptance would be wonderful. If nothing else, it would get our novel into more hands. We won't lie, it felt good to be named a Finalist in Chick Lit of the 2011 Next Generation Indie Book Awards. A little industry approval, but it also meant people read and enjoyed the book.

This week we received a rejection letter from an agent. We've received many. I've become numb to them. I understand agents can only take on so many books and they need to pick something they love and can sell. I don't envy them their jobs.

The letter stated, "we have read and discussed your work at length, and although it is, indeed, a moving and original mother/daughter/family discussion, we don't feel we would be the appropriate agent for it." As far as rejections go, I'll take moving and original any day of the week.

We are not discouraged. We believe in our little story and we are pushing forward.

Has a rejection ever encouraged you or motivated you to keep going?

5 comments:

Lisa Rose said...

Great attitude to have about the rejection letter, and what a rejection to get! Moving and original? That sounds really promising, even if they couldn't accept it. Glad to hear you aren't discouraged, keep at it!

Tia Bach said...

Thanks, Lisa. I do wish I could read other books barely rejected by agents. They might even be more interesting than what the do take on. Believing you can sell a book doesn't make it as interesting to me as loving it!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Lisa Carter said...

Yes, indeed, Tia, I'd take "moving and original"! That's very encouraging, even if it is in the form of a rejection slip.
BTW, I'm heading to a baby shower tomorrow and can't wait to recommend Depression Cookies. I know my two sister-in-laws in particular will enjoy it tremendously.

Kate @ Teaching What Is Good said...

That really is a nice rejection letter, as rejection letters go. And it's so nice to read your generous and encouraging response to it!!

Tia Bach said...

Lisa - You made my day! If you sister-in-laws read it, I'd love to hear what they think.

Kate - Thanks! ;-)