February 24, 2012

Tagged Again: Sharing My Answers

The lovely Rebekah Loper tagged me last Friday with some questions. I was finally catching up on some blog visiting today and saw it. Seemed like a fun Friday post, so I'll answer (but don't worry fellow bloggers, I'm not tagging anyone else).

1. What is your current writing project?

Mom and I are working on the follow up to Depression Cookies, our coming of age story. This time Krista is heading off to college and her mom, Abby, is facing a looming empty nest. I have a young adult novel brewing, too.

2. Why are you writing it?

Our first novel was well received, and Mom and I loved the idea of writing a teenager spreading her wings into womanhood while her mom is redefining what being a mom means. Plus, I love writing with my mom. She's the reason I am a writer, and a big part of who I am.

3. Do you have any pets?

A lovely American boxer named Jazzy (kids named her Jasmine after Aladdin, but it was too long). As you can see from the picture, she loves our children and will let them do anything to her.

4. What’s the worst book you’ve ever read?

I'm so protective of books, because I pride myself in finding value in everything I read. Sometimes the value is knowing what I don't like. I'm sure this will be an unpopular choice, but my least favorite book in the last ten years was, hands down, Wicked by Gregory Maguire. I loved the play, and even enjoyed his Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. But Wicked left a lot to be desired.

5. Favorite TV show and/or movie?

My favorite movie, Shawshank Redemption. My favorite TV show... I loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer, never missed an episode. More recently, I'm enjoying Once Upon a Time and Person of Interest. But my favorite TV watching experience is the Food Network. Any show. To get a glimpse into my Food Network obsession, visit my Food Network Style Challenge: Exposing my Food Obsession post.

6. What can you always count on to get you inspired?

My children and the books I read. Both foster my imagination and creativity in different ways.

7. What book did you read that inspired you to truly WRITE?
Anything Judy Blume when I was younger. She made stories out of everyday life, stories I wanted to read. Don't get me wrong, I also devoured the Lord of the Rings trilogy. But I'm always impressed with the stories that examine life and human relationships. I also love Fannie Flagg and Billie Letts. One of my favorite books is Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flagg.

8. Favorite food?
Ah, food. I love food. It's a problem. I blame my mother who answered all downer moods with something hot and sugary. Sweets are my downfall. To name a favorite wouldn't do justice to my obsession.

9. Worst thing you ever wrote?

My first novel was written in a composition notebook about two teenagers falling in love. I didn't know anything about love or sex at that time (I was a preteen myself), so it was pitiful. That being said, I hope it's the same sort of story my preteen would write. Idealistic and naive.

10. Best thing you ever wrote?

Depression Cookies. I'm proud of it and feel blessed to have written it with my mom.

11. Place you’ve visited that inspired you the most?

Anywhere that has family.

*****

Now a question for anyone who made it this far... Who do trust most to read your material and give you an honest opinion?

13 comments:

Beth said...

I'm watching Once Upon a Time and Person of Interest, too. Did you watch Lost? Lots of the same actors.

Tia Bach said...

I watched Lost for awhile and then got... well... lost.

Unknown said...

Who do I trust to give me an honest opinion on my write? My mother - she's brutal.

Michelle
www.michelle-pickett.com

Sarah Tokeley said...

Looks like we have the same tastes in TV and films :-)

I love the fact that not only did you write a book with your mother, you enjoyed it enough to do it again!

Tia Bach said...

Michelle, My mom is brutally honest, too. Guess it's a good thing I write with her. ;-)

Sarah, I'm blessed. I hope my kids feel as close to me someday as I feel to my mom.

Brenna said...

That is such a cute dog! (And, I love the costume, haha.)

I think it's great you work with your mom.

Julie Glover said...

No wonder I like you, Tia! I just finished watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer (and even posted about it on Friday). I hated Wicked; didn't finish it. And I loved Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man. What a great story. Very interesting to see your answers. Best wishes with the project!

Tia Bach said...

Brenna, She's cute and, thankfully, very patient and kind.

Julie, We must have been separated at birth! ;-) I'm heading over to your blog to check out the Buffy post. *squeal*

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

My husband is a great support, but if he feels something is missing from my writing then he won't be shy about telling me. I also have some great critique partners who keep me honest :)

Anonymous said...

I trust my critique group.

Cute dog.

I wasn't able to finish Wicked. I stopped halfway through, but I'd like to give it another try.

It was great getting to know you and your writing better.

Tia Bach said...

Lynda, My hubby's a great reader that way, too.

Medeia, Thanks for visiting. Seems we have similar tastes in books and dogs. ;-)

Rebekah Loper said...

Sorry it's taken me so long to comment on this (though I did read it as soon as you posted it!).

My sister used to do things like that to our dogs . . . the cats never cooperated. And I looooove Once Upon a Time :D. I work with my mom at church, though not doing writing things, so I know full well what a blessing it is to work side-by-side!

Tia Bach said...

No problem, Rebekah. Glad you could stop by! My tween and I are really enjoying Once Upon a Time.