February 11, 2012

Letter Writing Continues

This month, I'm participating in A Month of Letters Challenge. I've written a letter each postal day in February, and I'm loving it. To be completely fair, I write a few letters a month normally and send thank you notes for even the smallest gestures.

Maybe it's because I move so much and am always separated from friends and loved ones. It's easy for me to think of someone I want to write to. I even mailed my daughter her birthday card instead of just handing it to her this year. She was impressed, no small feat with two tweens in the house.

My plan is to continue through March, probably because when I sat down and wrote my list of letter recipients, I had way too many for just February.

Now I just need to find some fun stationery. I was disappointed when I went to Target looking for some. Totally weak selection. I guess letter writing really is dying. I just hope I don't show up to Target one day to find the book section sized down or, gasp, gone.

It's not too late to join in. You don't even have to officially sign up. Just start writing letters. I bet you'll be surprised by the number of people you want to send a letter to and how much they will appreciate it.

This challenge got me thinking... who I would love to get a letter from? Although I would love to receive letters from many people, it was loved ones who are no longer with me that came to mind. I sure wish I could hear from my grandmother (Maezelle) and Great Aunt Mary (my first daughter is named after her). I'd like them to tell me how I'm doing and what they would have done differently.

If you could receive a letter from anyone, who would it be?

*****

Tonight is my middle daughter's 10 year old slumber party, so I had to share a picture of her (and the cupcakes we spent much of last night making).


Her birthday thank you notes are already bought. She can sit down with me and write letters tomorrow.

10 comments:

Eden Mabee said...

When you first posted about this challenge, I said "What an awesome idea; I should do that!" and life intervened as it always does, and I didn't.

So, thank you for the reminder, Tia. I have so many people I should write a letter to. So many people that I've fallen out of touch except for email or a Facebook message, or...

I know exactly what you mean about the stationary selections though. My husband's aunt actually designs her own cards from her paintings, so I'm set for a while from her holiday gifts to us. If I had to buy cards this year... =(

And if I had to choose someone to write to me... I think it would be either my Great-aunt Pearl or my Great Grandmother (Nonny). I knew them both when I was little, but now that I'm older, I would love to know more of who they saw themselves to be, not just my hazy memories.

Sabrina said...

What a great idea! You're right, we don't write as much these days. Well, some of us...Yay to you for sticking with it. I think I want to give it a go as well.

If I could get a letter form anyone, I think it would be my dad. Like you, I'd like to know how I'm doing.

Unknown said...

I never met one of my grandmothers, so it would be pretty cool getting a letter from her.
Those cupcakes look fantastic!
P.S. Thanks for visiting and following my blog :-)

Elise Fallson said...

Love the cupcakes!! They look great and oh so yummy!!

If I could get a letter from anyone, I think it would be from my grand-father, I never got the chance to meet him...):

Eliza Cross said...

Letter-writing is definitely a lost art and I'm so impressed that you're writing one a day! :-) I'd love to receive a letter from Madeleine L'Engle, a writer who continues to inspire me. By the way, I'm in your group in the Platform-Building Campaign and just wanted to say hello!

Miranda Hardy said...

That's a very great idea. I haven't taken the time to letter write in a while. I wrote a letter to my daughter last November for her sixteenth birthday.

Tia Bach said...

I hope this post will get you all to write a few letters to special people. You'll get so much back in return!

Angela Scott said...

Now I want some cupcakes. They look fantastic. Yum.

We're in the same group #3 and popping by to say hi :)

Natalie Hartford said...

Awwww...that's amazing! I am so super proud of you. I can only begin to imagine how many happy people have enjoyed reading your letters.
Your daughter's slumber party with adorable cupcakes (with a sash - love the sash) sounds like it was fantastic!!!

Tia Bach said...

Angela, Thanks for stopping by! Glad I had some sweet treats to share your first time here. ;-)

Natalie, I'm loving the letter writing and am thinking of ways to incorporate some of the letters into blog posts. Hmmmm.