February 1, 2012

Brain Fog: ROW80 Check In

Has your brain ever been so full with one thing that you couldn't focus on anything else? That's been me this week. Ignoring my own "Say No" advice, I volunteered to run my middle school daughter's Bingo Family Fun Night.

It's not that it's difficult to plan. I had to solicit donations, organize prizes and the evening, and plan out the space. The problem... there are a lot of details. And those details have taken over what precious little brain space my children have left me with.

This week when my kids, or anybody else really, talked to me, I was honest, "I promise we'll deal with that after Family Fun Night."

The sad fact is, my brain is at capacity. I dream about Family Fun Night. At least last night this dream involved a rogue group of zombies attacking the school during the event.

I will be able to function starting Saturday. Good thing since my middle daughter's birthday is Tuesday, February 7. I'll be scrambling, but I know I can do it. After all, I'll be motivated. She'll be 10. (insert image of weepy mom here).

My ROW80 Update

Writing: Brain. Too. Overloaded. At capacity. I sat down and tried to write, truly I did. Sadly, I could write a dissertation on the ins and outs of organizing a middle school Family Fun Night, but that doesn't do my WIP any good. I even tried a #ROW80 #teamsprinty today. 345 words in 45 minutes. Hard work, but more than I would have done without my #ROW80 buddies. Thank you.

Blogging: Daily here, and I posted my less than thrilling review on Mom in Love with Fiction. At a previous check in, I asked for advice on how to handle a poor review. I hope I did okay: Night Sounds, Pam Young.

Reading: See Writing. Brain. Too. Overloaded. I just started The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I'm so excited to read this, but it's deep and I'm a shallow pond right now.

Editing: Working on several projects at once. Another reason the brain is overloaded. Each project is very different, thankfully.

Exercise: No time. This isn't helping the brain fog. At. All.

February Letter Writing Challenge: I'm so excited to be participating in A Month of Letters Challenge. I mailed my first letter today.

I hope my next update is a bit more exciting.

What do you do when your brain is too full?

10 comments:

Annette Gendler said...

Ha! I love that you're using the term "brain fog" - I've pretty much called it the same. Usually happens when I'm into a writing project. My husband actually coined it because I apparently get this foggy look. I'm in brain fog, too, these days as I am in the midst of reading my memoir manuscript out loud and am totally immersed in that world.

Shan Jeniah Burton said...

I wish you all the best for Bingo Night, and relaxation and ample writing time, after.....

We spent two days at an indoor waterpark...I did a lot more swimming and splashing than writing.

And I don't regret it at all....it was good to step away and come back refreshed and with a different perspective. =)

Julie Glover said...

Best wishes for Bingo night! I'm sure it means a lot to your daughter. You really can make up some ground next week.

Book Thief was so intriguing for me. I hope you enjoy it as well. The point of view was particularly fascinating.

Eden Mabee said...

Hopefully the fog will slowly lift. And really, while it's unpleasant to wade through, a fog just means that the world is warming the cooler air around it. It means that something is stewing and that you'll be seeing sunlight soon.

Julie Jordan Scott said...

When my brain is too full I do several things: I walk, I light a candle, I do whatever I think I don't have time for in a tiny chunk... say five or ten minutes rather than 30 or 45.

I took on a lot recently with acting in two productions both going up in early March. What was I thinking?

Hope to see you at more Sprints this week. I think that may actually help, too - - and if your WIP won't flow there, just try something else instead. I have even started a file for "last two minutes of the sprint" and y'know... some good stuff has come out of those tiny chunks of time!

Natalie Hartford said...

Happens to every one of us. Having organized many events, the one thing I've come to realize is that no matter how big or small the event is, there are still the same number of details to handle. And there's a lot of details! I'm amazed you got 345 words! LOL!
Here's to a great event and a great week when it's behind you. Woot woot!

Kate said...

At least you're involved in SOMETHING. :) Have fun at Bingo night!

Jayrod P. Garrett said...

When I am in a true brain fog I only have two solutions. One is to walk out the door and enjoy nature. I live by the river so I can walk along it and enjoy all the birds and critters and beauties to be found alongside it. This allows my mind to free up because I'm doing something I find fun and relaxing. Try it with something you sincerely enjoy! You might be amazed at how free your mind becomes.
... the other option for me is to write about why I'm in the fog. Yeah, option two is less fun. Still effective though!

Lisa said...

Totally hear you on the brain fog. The only thing that helps me is regular exercise - then I sleep better and life is good.

Tia Bach said...

Thanks everyone! I survived BINGO, and the fog is lifting. Slowly, but it's lifting. No more zombie dreams, so it's a start.