February 7, 2012

What We all Need is Some Reagan

Today is my middle daughter's 10th birthday. Reagan Dallas Bach is named after Ronald Reagan, more on that later, and my father, Dallas. She's my never-say-die, full of spunk, sweet daughter.

One of the coolest things about being a Mom is seeing your children become individuals. I thought my job as a parent was to mold, to help create who my child would be. Now, I know better. I can foster, but they sense any attempt at molding and avoid it with great effort.

Good thing my Reagan is a lovely individual.

What We Could all Learn from Reagan

Fearlessness - Reagan's never met a challenge she doesn't see as an opportunity. She embraces new things and tackles them in earnest.

Loving Yourself - Reagan owns who she is. When we moved to a new state in late 2010, Reagan came up to me and said, "Until I can find a new best friend, I'm going to be my own best friend." There was more wisdom in that sentence than I've had time to teach her.

Humor - When in doubt, crack a joke. Pretty much Reagan's philosophy. If a moment ever gets too serious, she finds a way to turn it around. It's a gift she gets from me through my father.

Embracing Fun - Never one to accept the boring or too heavy, Reagan can find fun anywhere. She loves to be outside and has an endless supply of energy. But if she's stuck indoors, she is the one entertaining her sisters and creating things to do.

Stubbornness - Yes, stubbornness can sometimes be your friend. I've always told my husband that peer pressure will never sway Reagan if she does NOT want to do something. But, Katie bar the door, if she does. I may have to embrace pink hair and tattoos in the near future!

Back to her name... my dad has always loved Ronald Reagan. After we named our first daughter Jacqueline, Dad asked if we were inspired by the Kennedys (not one of his favorite politic families). Ed and I never considered the Kennedy to connection to the name Jacqueline.

As soon as I found myself pregnant with my second baby, I told Dad we'd name a boy Ronald or a girl Reagan to make him happy. It was a joke, or started as one. But Reagan grew on us. So, of course, we had to give her my dad's name for her middle name.

I am proud every single day to call her my daughter.

What have you learned from your children?

7 comments:

Louise Wise said...

What a lovely tribute to your daughter. She was a cute baby, and grow to be a beautiful young lady, no wonder you're proud!

I only had boys (four!!) and had always hoped for a little girl to dress in pink and ribbons! lol

Anyway, I came over to meet you. I'm on Rach's campaign to join authors and bloggers together and noticed that you were listed in the same list as me.

Louise
http://louisewise.blogspot.com

Nana said...

Can't believe our girl is 10!!! But she is all you said and more. She's one kid that can always make you smile. I think the word to describe her is intoxicating . . . You want more of her because she makes you feel free- spirited.

Tia Bach said...

Louise, Pleasure to meet you. I'm looking forward to the campaign!

Nana, Perfectly said!

Kerri Cuev said...

What a little cutie and that was such a sweet post. Stopping by from the Campaign to say hello.

Tia Bach said...

Thanks, Kerri. Looking forward to getting to know you through the Campaign. Tomorrow's the day I catch up on stopping by and meeting everyone.

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday, Reagan. Ten is such an exciting milestone!

Tia Bach said...

Thanks, Melissa. She's pretty proud of herself, especially since she's only "1 year" younger than her older sister until May. :-)