January 31, 2013

"Seeing" Things Differently

Funny how 40 makes you "see" things differently. Some of these clearer visions are welcomed. Some, however, are not.

I am fighting the inevitable need for reading glasses. All my girlfriends told me it would happen, and I chose not to believe. Then, I turned 40. Suddenly, I'm making the views bigger on Word and Blogger.


So imagine my glee when I started using Safari and I noticed the eyeglass symbol in the upper lefthand corner of my menu bar. Finally, an easier way to make my screen bigger so I could see it easier. 

Right?

Wrong!

It's the symbol for Reading List... a place where you can collect webpages and links to read later. Sounds wonderful. When I was in my 20s, even in my 30s, I never would have looked at that symbol and thought, "Yeah! Reading glasses."

And thus is part of my adventure into discovery.

Every day I realize how much my view of things changes, but I think in some ways I am seeing things clearer.

Oh, and for those of you that don't use Safari and can't see the small symbol above...





There it is --------------------->

I'm sure it's a pretty cool tool, and I intend to check it out, but I wanted to save all my 40-something friends from getting excited that it was a simple way to make your computer words clearer.

Now, you may go about your regular days.

Happy Thursday!

6 comments:

bookworm said...

Sorry, Tia. I'm here to tell you it doesn't get better. Wait till you have to read the tiny print on over- the-counter drug bottles. Stock up on magnifying glasses.

Mel Kinnel (@TizMellyMel) said...

I'm a few years beyond 40 and it doesn't get any better. I've resorted to over-the-counter reading glasses to wear with my contacts just to see tiny print.

Beth said...

i've had progressive bifocals for a few years. love them! i noticed i needed them most in grocery stores to read the ingredients so i wouldn't kill john or me.

john tried to get contacts but failed miserably. but we found out they have daily disposables now so larry got those. he always had problems with protein build up on his. i decided i would also try again. i wore hard lenses and scarred up my corneas pre-john so haven't worn for many years. can't do hard anymore so trying out soft. i'm on my fifth or sixth trial pair. with strong prescription for distance, astigmatism, and need for reading i'm a complicated case. i hated wearing contacts for distance with reading glasses so now i'm doing one eye for reading and one eye for distance. do you wear contacts? that might be an option for you.

Sandi said...

OMG! You made me chuckle! I have worn glases all my life... for a while, I didn't need them as much. Then, I realized I couldn't read the print on the Mac & Cheese box - how horrible is that? Good thing I knew the instructions by heart! Now, they are very expensive accessory/necessities! Hugz!

Julie Glover said...

I hear ya! I just know that in Google Chrome, Ctrl+ is my friend. :)

Jo Michaels said...

Happy Monday, yourself! It's Friday over here. Sorry I'm late :(

I've been squinting lately. I know it's time for a glasses upgrade but I can't bring myself to do it. UGH. I had a very slight astigmatism but I think it's begun to get worse. Oh well, soon...

WRITE ON!