To that end, I wanted to share a wonderful new Writer's Conference and writing competition...
Conference & Competition
Writing In Our Time
Saturday, March 2, 2013
Washington Civic Center
Located in Historic Downtown
Washington, North Carolina
Panel Discussion: Publishing in Our Time--featuring an amazing lineup
Keynote Speaker: Bland Simpson, Kenan Distinguished Professor of English and Creative Writing at UNC-Chapel Hill
Writing for Young Adults*
Humor in Writing
Memoir & Beginnings
The Prose Poem: Where Do We Draw the Line?
Finding the Story Shape: A Pattern Language for Fiction
For more details on workshops and speakers, please visit here and download the registration brochure. The registration deadline is February 15, 2013.
In addition, there is a Writing Competition. The full rules can be found here on the Beaufort County Arts Council website. A few details:
* February 1, 2013 Entry Deadline
* Categories: Prose: Fiction, Prose: Non-Fiction, Prose: Young Adult, Poetry, High School (no fee required for high school)
* Prose - 2500 word maximum
* Poetry - 200 word maximum
* $100 cash prize for 1st place & $50 cash prize for 2nd place will be awarded in each category
* A $500 Scholarship Award will be granted to the best high school entry
For those in the area, I hope you will consider coming. Both my mom and I will be there, and I'm looking forward to discovering new things about my writing. All of which I will come back and share with all of you.
* I am particularly excited about this one. Devyn Dawson, YA author of the Light Tamer Trilogy, is the speaker. Check her out here. I am hoping to pick up some pointers for my YA novel, Chasing Memories.