October 28, 2014

UtopYA Hangover

UtopYA was awesome. It was everything I hoped it would be plus so much more.

Unfortunately, ever since I came home, I've been in a funk. A UtopYA hangover, if you will.

I miss my peeps. 

Funny, a year ago, I lived near DC. It's a hot-bed for authors, but I didn't know it while I lived there. Now, I'm all the way in California (been here just over a year), and I can't find a writing community. The lovely Christina Mercer lives about an hour away--we so need to make plans--but for the most part, I feel all alone.

Before UtopYA, I lived my writer life that way. But now I know how wonderful it is to be around people who share my passion. It inspires me. Now, nothing. It's like that amazing night on the town followed by a hangover--one that lasts for months. 

I'm having a hard time motivating myself. As much as I love connecting with my writer friends on social media, it's not the same as being surrounded by them in person.

Anybody else wanting to beg the powers that be--Janet Wallace, are you listening?--to hold a get-together "fix" sometime around the holidays?

A girl can dream. Until then, June 2015 can't get here soon enough!

For anyone looking for my A Round of Words in 80 Days (ROW80) updates, I think I need to bow out this round. I'm going to be up to my eyeballs in NaNo work, and I can't seem to make my updates very interesting these days.

2 comments:

Elise Fallson said...

I know how you feel all too well. There isn't an English writing community here as you can understand, and you're right, the online folks are amazing, but it's just not the same when you share in person. But I'm sure you'll find a writing community soon, or maybe you could start one? Hang in there, you're a great writer and you'll find your motivation soon. And good luck with NaNo and everything else going on in your life. Hugs!

Jo Michaels said...

I think it's a combination of you moving, having a bunch of issues, and everything piling on top of you in addition to having that awesome group of women who you could identify with and connect with on an intellectual level that's driving your funk. Not sure what would help. If you have a mid-term GTG, it may only serve to fuel the already deepening feeling of being all alone. Because that, too, will end. Sending you so many hugs you gasp for air.

WRITE ON!