October 10, 2014

Meet Some #UtopYA2014 Lovelies (Unofficial): Paris Rieske


Please welcome Paris Rieske, book cover model and editor. She's yet another lovely I met at UtopYA2014.

Hi, Paris! Thanks so much for being a guest on my blog. It was such a thrill to meet you at UtopYA in June, especially since I adore your mother, author Devyn Dawson.

You appear on the cover of your mother’s book, Killing Me Softly. First of all, how did this come about? Also, what inspired you to want to do cover model work? 

Paris: My mom and I work very closely with all of her books. I'm her number one fan and I try to support her through every step of her stories. I started off as one of her editors and through editing, we got even closer. 

When she started Killing Me Softly, I was worried because I was busier than usual and wouldn't be as big of a process. I'm not sure why she asked me if I'd model for her cover, but I was really happy she did and of course I said, "Yes!" I know she loves to keep things local and involve everyone she can in her process, so maybe it was her way of making sure I was just as big of a part of this book as all the others.
 
I love that you are your mom's number one fan. My girls are definitely mine! So, I have to ask. Do you love to read? Other than your mom’s books (wink, wink), name a couple of your favorite authors.

Paris: I do love to read! While I don't get as much time to do so between having a 14 month old and working on my mom's books (really they're my favorite, and I reread The Light Tamer over and over; it never gets old). When I'm not nose deep in a Devyn Dawson novel, I like Michael Crichton books. Growing up, my favorite was Laura Ingalls Wilder and I just recently fell in love with Rhiannon Paille.

Laura Ingalls Wilder books are classics for good reason. Recently, I saw some amazing pictures of your modeling work on your Facebook page. Would you mind sharing two of your favorite pictures so far?



I wrote a novel, Depression Cookies, with my mom. It was an amazing experience, but things would get tricky sometimes when we talked plot or vision. You edit your mom’s novels. What is your working relationship like? Do you have a funny story to share with us?

Paris: Writing with my mom is a lot of fun, probably because I don't do the writing part. LOL! I think she thinks of me as someone she can bounce ideas off of, and I'm pretty honest about my feelings towards those ideas. Sometimes we disagree on things, but she usually ends up being right (funny how moms do that, huh?) and I eat my words later. 

As far as a funny story, well I have worked on almost every single book my mom has written and that includes those not-so-innocent new adult books she's put out. Cry Me a River was a really fun book to work on because it took place not far from where I grew up in a town called Emerald Isle. There are a lot of sexy scenes and while they are super hot and steamy, it's interesting being the daughter in that situation. All the panty-dropping moments she writes about are great and it means so much to me that we're close enough that she's comfortable with me helping with those, but sometimes I just crack up at how unusual the dynamic is.

Mother-daughter bonds are pretty darn special. Speaking of which, your sweet daughter is too cute for words. What is your biggest wish for her?

Paris: Thank you! My daughter is the light of my life. My biggest wish for her is that she finds a place in this world where she feels whole, safe, like she fits, and experiences the happiness true security can bring.

I have the same wish for my three daughters. Now it's time for some quick questions...

Favorite Punctuation Mark: The exclamation point!!!
Ocean or Mountains? Mountains
Favorite Alcoholic Beverage? Southern Comfort with lime juice
Favorite Dessert? Fudgy brownies
Shower or bath? Bath
Sweet or Sour? Sweet

Thanks so much for being a guest on my blog. I wish you all the best with all the exciting things happening with you (and your mom). Congratulations on your August 10th wedding, too. I saw some pictures on your mom's Facebook page, and you looked so happy and in love!

Paris: Thanks, and thank you for the opportunity to be on your blog! Love and light to you.

Please come back for more #UtopYA2014 Lovelies (Unofficial), and check out the announcement post to see the schedule.

2 comments:

Shah Wharton said...

Wow Paris, I so couldn't read my mum talking about sex. :) X

shahwharton.com

Jo Michaels said...

This is a great interview! I didn't get to meet Paris. :( Maybe you can introduce me at UtopYA 2015? That would be stellar. I so can't wait for that event.

WRITE ON!