June 6, 2013

The Art of We'll See: Blogathon, Day 6

Early in 2012, I wrote a post about saying No: The Art of No

I struggle with saying No. Actually, my kids say that I only struggle to say it to everyone except them. But I digress...

An excerpt from that post:

My life is full of many blessings, one of which is working from home. My husband shoulders the responsibility of our financial well being. Although I'm constantly busy, I feel guilty. Guilty that I don't have to juggle a full time job and children.

That guilt propels me to say Yes, to try and make up for all the missing volunteers at school and to ease my own guilt for being luckier than others. I also want my children to get a top notch education, and part of that falls on me.


During a move, I feel even more guilty. Guilty that my children are being torn away from their friends and consistency. Guilty that I can't fulfill any long-term commitments I made (e.g., a 2-year committee assignment).

A week from tomorrow, my children and I will get in a car and drive away from Maryland. I have not let this reality truly sink in yet. So, during what is an insane time for me, I have become even worse about saying No.

It should be easier than ever... people would understand. But I still find myself shaking my head vertically versus horizontally. 

The nice thing about starting over is that you are handed a clean slate. I know myself well enough not to commit to becoming great at No right away. Too much of a change. Instead, I'm going to start telling people that I will get back to them. Then, I will take some time to consider why I would say Yes. 

It's a start.

What is your art for saying No?

2 comments:

Karla Akins said...

What a great idea! I'm going to try and use that. I have a difficult time saying no, too. Thanks for the tip. #blog2013

Jo Michaels said...

I'm SO not one to ask about saying no. When it comes to friends, I'm putty in their hands. But I also know those friends would do anything I asked because I'm very particular about whom I surround myself with. My problem there is, I never ask. I just can't bring myself to do it. What I expect, way too often, is for people to see the need and offer to fill it. Like I've said a billion times, we must be kin somehow. :) hehe Good luck with learning the art of we'll see. Let me know how it goes. :) WRITE ON!