June 2, 2013

Princesses & A Toad: WordCount Blogathon Day 2

Today, my plans were thrown off by the loss of a toad.

Yes, my three girls have an infatuation with toads. We have eight: Alex, Jeanette, Polly, Jacob, Julie, Bella, Colin, and Walker.

This morning my daughter woke me with huge crocodile tears. She went to check on the toads this morning, and Jacob was dead. Then, the next daughter came in crying. Then, her friend came in (who was sleeping over) and tears were flowing down her face.

In true mom fashion, I flew into action. I found a small box and wooden cross, and then dug a hole in the front yard in a shady spot (per my daughters' requests). Finally, I went to the computer and printed The Rainbow Bridge. It's a poem I have long loved, and it's a must read for all people who have love animals and have lost one.

My favorite lines: All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. (read the whole poem here)

So, here I sit at 10:35pm writing post 2 for the Blogathon. It is a full hour before yesterday's post went live. Maybe tomorrow I will post by 9:35pm. 

Note: My A Round of Words in 80 Days (ROW80) update post will be up tomorrow.

4 comments:

Jan said...

Yes, it was an unexpected post but such a sweet one.

Oh Tia, I was reading some of your posts and so much has happened in your life.

So good to see you again.
j

Anonymous said...

Aw, so sorry about the loss of Jacob the toad! I hope tomorrow is better. :)

Jo Michaels said...

May he have an abundance of flies in the afterlife. You're a good mom. I would've flushed it or fed it to the neighbor's cat...

KIDDING!

How sweet that they love toads :)

Awesome post. WRITE ON!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

How well I remember those days of big fat tears and pet funerals. You chose the perfect poem. Great job, Ma.