July 1, 2015

Finding My Community : #IWSG

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (or IWSG) is a wonderful group put together by the amazing Alex J. Cavanaugh (which now has an equally cool Facebook group). 

The first Wednesday of each month is the perfect opportunity to share my insecurities on the #IWSG therapy couch, get encouragement and support about such insecurities, and to read how other writers are faring.


I just came back from UtopYA, an awesome conference in Nashville for readers and writers. It's such a powerful, fulfilling conference. I left with goals, plans, and feeling pumped up. Being around people who get you will do that.

But I know what's coming... I felt the same way last year. Yet within a few weeks, I was depressed and missing the beauty of my community. Since moving to California, I haven't found a local contingent of writers. And sometimes I really need to be around other writers to nourish my soul.

Any advice for finding a close network of writers?

5 comments:

Mandy said...

I don't have any advice for finding a close-knit writer support group … Perhaps there is another conference you could attend soon? Or a class you could take online?

I also feel that "hole" in my life when I have been crazy busy for a while and then there is just nothing. :( Hopefully you will find something to make up for it in your life soon. *hugs*

Stephsco said...

I'm glad to hear UtopYA/Utopia was so great. I've been following them on social media and I think I may go next year since I have family in Nashville. I wanted to have a book out before I went, so held off this year (also I already am going to NYC for RWA in a few weeks = $$$).

So, finding writers. Are you in an area that is more remote or not active? RWA and SCBWI (kids lit--do you write YA?) may have local chapters, though that does require joining their parent chapters at $100 a year. I started out at a local library writers group. Those can very in quality a LOT but even if it yields one good connection, that could be worth it! When I was looking for a group, I googled writing groups + my city name, and then expanded. Meetup.org might have some local groups too, check them out. Also, there's online stuff, but I understand the in person connections are different.

Shah Wharton said...

The only writing community I've been fortunate to have is the online one. With social phobia and an introverted personality, it's the only one I'm liable to have, too unfortunately. As for your situation, have you tried doing Google searches for local groups, looked at notice boards in libraries and books shops? That sort of thing?

Best of luck Tia. We all need to feed the soul.

shahwharton.com

Tanya Miranda said...

My only writing community is online as well, and I haven't the excuse of having recently moved. I've lived in NJ for years now and I can't find a suitable writing group.

Maybe it's just me. I'm not as approachable as some, and I like to sit back and watch scenes unfold. Plus, it means interactive with strangers... in person. Yikes! :-\

-T
Tanya Miranda - Writer, Dreamer, Intergalactic Superhero

Jo Michaels said...

Put out an APB on Facebook for locals (or check your local NaNoWriMo forum), and you can set up a meeting time. :) That's what the NoGa authors did. We have FUN.

Good luck, babe!