July 13, 2015

Do Epic : Kim Holden

The keynote speakers at this year's UtopYA conference were outstanding! On the last day, Kim Holden brought home the entire conference with her theme: Do Epic.

It was the perfect theme to wrap up UtopYA 2015. She started by talking about Bright Side; her novel that has started a movement of positive thought and doing epic things. 

After pouring her heart and soul into the book, she let it go into the universe. She didn't think people would read it, but she was okay with that. Then, a couple of influential blogs discovered it. Everything changed overnight.

People started calling the book a "gift that crawls into your heart and never leaves." 

She likes to say her readers aren't fans. Instead, they are friends who read the book. Whenever she travels, she'll post on Facebook where she'll be and meets up with those friends. There's even a group on Facebook--Bright Siders--who share their stories. 

To share this movement with us, she showed a video created by people in this group. Frame after frame, Bright Siders shared their epic stories and what the movement/book means to them. It was emotional and inspirational. 

I downloaded the book while in Nashville and took it to Hawaii with me the next week (see picture above). How appropriate to read such a beautiful book in an equally beautiful location. Yes, there were tears, but ... well, keep reading.

From my review:

It left me feeling empowered... brave (and that word will mean so much more after you read the book). More than that, I was inspired by one of Kate's much-repeated mantras... Do Epic!

You can't have happiness without sadness. In this story, you get plenty of both. After the last page, you'll wipe away your tears and vow to live your life to its fullest. To enjoy every single second. 


Read the full review here.

Kim Holden ended her speech with the last words from Bright Side...

You Are Brave.

Now, go #doepic.

About the Author

(from her website)

Some of my favorite things: 


Reading (YA or New Adult), writing (especially on a productive day), the two coolest guys on the planet (my husband and son), my bicycle (hand built by my husband), Facebook (it’s an addiction at this point), iced coffee (hazelnut from McDonalds), and music (LOVE Sunset Sons, the 1975, Dredg, the xx, Balance and Composure, Teenage Bottlerocket, Manchester Orchestra, and 30 Seconds to Mars). 

I also love dreaming. Big. Writing a few years ago was an elusive dream until I grabbed a hold of it with both hands and refused to let go. Keep chasing YOUR dreams … 

Want more? 

Find me on Facebook or Goodreads

1 comment:

Jo Michaels said...

She really was an inspirational speaker. I loved that video; it made me cry so many times. Janet was a hot mess after. LOL! I haven't read the book yet, but I plan to. Thanks for not giving spoilers. :) WRITE ON!