April 18, 2013

Plot Twists = P: Blogging from A to Z

P presented many possible literary devices: protagonist, pathos, parody, paradox, persona, point of view, personification. Pressure!

Writing is a complicated, and exhilarating, process. Few devices showcase that like a good plot twist. Especially a jaw-hits-the-floor plot twist.

** spoiler alert **

If you've seen these words, you know the respect most reviewers and journalists have for an amazing plot twist. Usually, they will be as vague as possible to avoid ruining the surprise. When it's necessary to expose the twist, most will include the spoiler warning to honor those readers who don't want to know.

Of all the plot twists I've experienced, none left me as flabbergasted as The Fight Club. Never. Saw. It. Coming. It's one of those great movies where you want to immediately watch it again and figure out how you missed it. 

Sure, I was distracted by Brad Pitt's body, but it was more than that. With such an intense and mesmerizing story, I never suspected the ending. That's great storytelling.

The same could be said for The Usual Suspects, one of my favorite movies as listed here. When Kevin Spacey's character walks away at the end, his limp suddenly disappearing, I had chills. 

But there's a pitfall with plot twists. You have to sell an amazing story first. Twists for the sake of twists rarely work. There's a huge difference between a reader's jaw dropping and a reader shaking their head.

What's your favorite plot twist in a book or movie? Spoiler alerts encouraged. Just this once. *smiles*

Please visit other P posts here.

7 comments:

Jessica Schley said...

I'm not going to spoil, because the book isn't released until Tuesday, but I just read ARCLIGHT by Josin McQuein and was amazed by its plot twist. Others said they saw it coming, but I absolutely didn't, and for me, it made it the freshest YA book I've read in years.

Love your A-Z! Just stopping by for the first time today, but can't wait to read more.

Anonymous said...

I think The Usual Suspects has to rate as one of the top ones. There was also a gret twist in Knight Moves. Think it was an 80s movie with Christopher Lambert in it.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you :)
Hope you're having a fab AtoZ - have enjoyed catching up on your posts.

auntyamo
http://ficticiousamo.wordpress.com/

Valerie said...

Fight club is one of my favs!! Totally didn't see that coming.

Hugs!

Valerie Nunez and the Flying Platypi

Anonymous said...

The Usual Suspects is the perfect example. I also distinctly remember being surprised by the ending of a movie called Shattered. And then there's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Christie--an absolute classic!

Fairview said...

The Sixth Sense - had no idea and then I couldn't get over the genius of the whole thing so I had to go see it again.

And then more recently, the book "Code Name Verity" was very good.

Jo Michaels said...

The Bird. LOL! Seriously, it was one hell of a plot twist. :) Chuck Palahniuk always leaves me with my jaw hanging. Quite an interesting author. Also, Bigger than Jesus has twist throughout that keep you glued to the pages. In movies, I'd have to say anything by M. Night Shamalan keeps me intrigued. :) Great post topic! WRITE ON!

Tia Bach said...

Jessica -- Sounds like a book I need to read. Thanks for sharing.

Ficticiousamo -- I need to check that movie out.

Valerie -- I know. Truly I sat there speechless. If you knew me, you'd know just how important that statement is. ;-)

Julie -- I love the idea of Agatha Christie. I need to read one of hers.

Fairview -- Agreed!

Jo -- Now I'm truly sold on The Bird. I just need to get my to do list culled a bit, and I'm reading it!