April 10, 2013

In Medias Res & IBGW = I: Blogging from A to Z

Welcome to a day of I. Clogging the blogosphere with posts dedicated to I could get a little self-involved. Thank goodness it's for the Blogging from A to Z Challenge, so I posts will cover a range of topics.

Okay, enough of my play on the letter I and first person. On to I...

In Medias Res
(Encyclopedia Britannica)
Latin: “in the midst of things” In narrative technique, the recommended practice of beginning an epic or other fictional form by plunging into a crucial situation that is part of a related chain of events; the situation is an extension of previous events and will be developed in later action. The narrative then goes directly forward, and exposition of earlier events is supplied by flashbacks. The principle is based on the practice of Homer in the Iliad and the Odyssey.

When done right, the prerequisite for most literary devices, in medias res drops the reader right into the thick of the action. No complaints here, because few things make me happier than being invested in a story from page one. Then, we can explore the inner workings of the characters.

Think of the Bond or Bourne movies. It wouldn't be the same to have those movies begin with Bond and Bourne sorting out their feelings over all the people they've killed or their lost loves. No, these need to begin with an insane action sequence.

On the flip side, in medias res wouldn't really work for a romance novel. You need to build up to two people falling in love. One of my biggest complaints with romance novels is the "looked across a crowded room and fell instantly in love" relationship. Make me care about the characters and then have them fall in love. 

And a bonus I for Indie writers. 

Indie Books Gone Wild (IBGW), the brainchild of the lovely Jo Michaels, is a great resource for indie writers. In addition to articles on important indie topics, the site offers the following services: editing, beta-reading, proofreading, print book formatting, and open critique services/writing class.

I am currently using them to edit my YA novel, Chasing Memories, and I recently joined them as an editor. Take a moment to read my bio and check out the other amazing team members here.

Hope everyone is enjoying A to Z this year. To check out other A to Z bloggers, please visit the Blogging from A to Z participant list.

6 comments:

Margo Kelly said...

Hmm. Indie Books Gone Wild sounds like a great resource. Thanks for sharing the info! :)

nutschell said...

Thanks for the links to Indie Books Gone Wild. Just the thing I need to look up!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

D.E. Malone said...

I'd forgotten what the definition wasof that term; thanks for the reminder. Also for the link to IBGW. It looks like a great resource!

Jo Michaels said...

I used In Media Res when I wrote Yassa. The Prologue is something that happens later and changes the whole outcome of the story :) Thanks for sharing IBGW. I hope we have enough people on staff :) WRITE ON!

Tia Bach said...

Hope everyone will take a look at IBGW. Thanks so much for commenting. A to Z is proving to be a blast this year!

Fairview said...

Thanks for introducing me to indie books gone wild. I was just looking for a proofreader!