April 17, 2013

Oxymoron = O: Blogging from A to Z Challenge

Wow, we've made it to the big O. Wait, that didn't come out exactly as I had planned. *winks*

Last year, I wrote about Onomatopoeia. Such a rhythmic sound. I always imagine it as a Julie Andrew's song. But, in the interest of covering new territory, this year I decided to go with Oxymoron.
genuine fake watches
Source - Creative Commons

Oxymoron
(Merriam-Webster)
A combination of contradictory or incongruous words (as cruel kindness); broadly : something (as a concept) that is made up of contradictory or incongruous elements.

I love a good oxymoron! Earlier this month, I discussed Juxtaposition for J. Juxtaposition in a lot of ways is an extended oxymoron, since it lasts longer than a brief phrase. But there's something deceptively honest about a good contradictory phrase.

I'm from the South, and there are many examples of oxymoron that we Southern gals use on a daily basis. My favorites:
  • awfully good
  • a fine mess
  • dead right
  • clearly misunderstood
  • pretty ugly
  • seriously funny
  • holy hell
  • nothing much
Ones I never really considered before researching this, but are obvious to me now:
  • Civil War
  • drawing a blank
  • mutual differences
  • necessary evil
What is your favorite oxymoron? 

Please visit other O posts in the Blogging from A to Z Challenge participant list.

6 comments:

Stina said...

lol I really shouldn't read your blog first thing in the morning. My brain isn't functioning yet.

I love oxymorons.

Beth said...

Friendly fire?

bookworm said...

Here in upstate New York, people use "wicked" as in "this is wicked good!" (the only other place I've heard wicked used that way is in Boston.) Not really an oxymoron because you can also say "this is wicked terrible!" but I don't know what the proper term for using "wicked" like that is.

Jo Michaels said...

True Lies is my favorite. And you gotta love Jamie Lee in that movie :) WRITE ON!

Tia Bach said...

Thank you all for stopping by!

Stina -- I know what you mean. I'll read a blog I love, but then I can't think of a great example.

Beth -- Great one!

Alana -- Wicked is one I remember from living in Clifton Park, NY.

Jo -- Perfect example.

Barbara White Daille said...

Love your oxymorons and Beth and Jo's, too.

Of course, my mind's blanking now...all I can think of is jumbo shrimp.

Barbara
T is for Triple Play: Two Teasers and Time's Running Out
The Daille-y News