April 1, 2013

Attempting Awesome Alliteration = A: Blogging from A to Z

Another A adventure advances...
Figures of Speech - Alliteration
Source

If ever there was a month that exudes alliteration, it is April and the A to Z challenge. With a letter theme, most of us try to come up with witty and memorable titles using alliteration.

Alliteration
(Merriam-Webster)
The repetition of usually initial consonant sounds in two or more neighboring words or syllables (as wild and woolly, threatening throngs)

If you have ever read to a toddler, you know the effectiveness of A is for Apple, B is for Banana. Alliteration not only allows us to remember text, it also creates a melodic rhythm that makes words sing.

A fun example...

Betty Botter by Mother Goose
Betty Botter bought some butter, but, she said, the butter’s bitter; if I put it in my batter it will make my batter bitter, but a bit of better butter will make my batter better.

Consider how often it is used in marketing/products...

Mickey (and Minnie) Mouse
Polly Pocket
Bed, Bath & Beyond
Dunkin Donuts
Krispy Kreme
Weight Watchers

Or, in book titles...

Revolutionary Road
Pride and Prejudice
The Great Gatsby

Interesting enough, in Harry Potter...
Godric Gryffindor
Salazar Slytherin
Severus Snape
Luna Lovegood
Filius Flitwick

Like any literary device, it can be taken too far and lose its power. But well-placed alliteration can be a great tool to keep a reader engaged and make your story memorable.

Can you think of an example of effective alliteration?

For more A to Z fun, and plenty of alliteration examples, please check out other participants here.

Oh, and as a special A aside... a huge high-five to Arlee Bird, the Challenge founder. A is for Appreciative, Arlee. Many thanks! Visit Arlee at Tossing It Out.

17 comments:

Dani said...

Half the time I'm a Bumbling Buffoon. Does this count as alliteration? Lmao!

Jaleh D said...

Absolutely amazing ;D

Elise Fallson said...

I like this literary device and sometimes use it without even realizing it until after I've gone back for revisions. I'll be back for more. (:

Livia Peterson said...

I've seen some effective examples of an alliteration. Forgot what the were. Great post, Tia!

Kate said...

I don't consider using alliteration enough outside of picture books, but I'm going to have to make an effort to use it more often!

Jenny said...

Positively perfect post to begin the challenge :-)

Jenny at Choice City Native

Anonymous said...

Great post, Tia! I just did my fist one for this challenge. Do we need to enter each post somewhere?

Anonymous said...

There's a great line in the movie "Broadcast News," when William Hurt is anchoring the news and Albert Brooks is getting drunk (because he wasn't chosen). Brooks watches Hurt on television, gulps his drink, and smirks. "A lot of alliteration from anxious anchors!" Love that. Great post, Tia!

Julie Jordan Scott said...

I agree in alliteration in moderation. Believe it or not, my son have a game where we call "alliteration foul!" LOL.

Especially in poetry with new poets? It is so hard not to scream out "STOP IT NOW!"

:~)

Stop shrieking at my sensitive senses!! (Sorry, resisting is rarely reprehensible).

Always great to "See" you.

Julie Jordan Scott
Our Literary Grannies from A to Z: A is for Aphra Behn
tweet me - @juliejordanscot

Unknown said...

Vivaciously Visiting from A to Z. Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful throwdown of thrilling thoughts. :^)

Corinne O said...

Ah, an acquaintance added after A-to-Z! An awesome addition. :D

What fun! Nice to meet you through AtoZ

Corinne
My blog

Shannon Lawrence said...

I can think of a book I've read that my kids love that overuses it. Well, I get irritated reading it, but again, it works for them. It's heavy on the P's throughout, which is rough when reading. I can't remember the title, but it's Princess Pigtoria or something like that.

Shannon at The Warrior Muse

Tia Bach said...

I really appreciate everyone stopping by today. It's going to be a great A to Z month!!

And I was quite impressed with so many of your alliteration comments. Fun!

Barbara White Daille said...

Awesome advent to your A to Z list!

I love alliteration. I even got to keep a couple of book titles with it, which made my day. ;)

Look forward to your upcoming posts.

Barbara

Unknown said...

One day late, but oh well!

LOVE alliteration. Honestly, I think it's not used enough in written works. People probably think it's overdone, but I adore it. :)

Thanks for stopping by SS yesterday. Much appreciated!

Michelle Wallace said...

I love alliteration!
Great post Tia!
Thanks for popping in at my place!

Jo Michaels said...

Great post! I didn't even notice the Harry Potter ones. Odd. Thanks for pointing that one out :) WRITE ON!