August 13, 2014

RIP Robin Williams: ROW80 Update

I was out of town the last two days attending my dear friend's mother's memorial service. 

Already in a somber mood and reflecting on my blessings, I was shocked and saddened to hear about the loss of Robin Williams.

Source
First, my heart went out to him for his struggle with depression. Although it's easy for outsiders to see what he had to live for, we can't possibly understand what his inner struggles were like. Mental illness is cruel and it doesn't play by the rules.

Celebrity deaths often feel surreal. When I hear about them, I feel bad. But few have affected me as much as hearing about Robin Williams. I loved him first in Mork & Mindy and then later in countless movies, including Dead Poet's Society, Good Morning Vietnam, Mrs. Doubtfire, Jumanji (one my kids recently discovered and love), Awakenings, Aladdin, Good Will Hunting. Just to name a few.

Story after story on the Internet heralded his charitable nature and the happiness he brought to others. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. Rest in peace, Robin Williams.

What was your favorite of his movies?

Mine was probably Good Morning Vietnam.

*****

A Round of Words in 80 Days (ROW80) Update

Not much from me since Sunday with travel and a memorial service. I did get some work done on editing and blog preparation at the airport and on the plane ride. 

Next week is the last week of summer and my baby sister, her husband, and their two kids will be visiting. Guess I'll be getting up early and staying up late to squeeze in everything I want to get done!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every time I try to say "My favorite was..." I remember one of his others and have to revise my answer. But, at this moment, I'm going to say "Dead Poet's Society," but I will always have a special place in my heart for Mork & Mindy. I grew in Longmont Colorado (next door to Boulder) in the 70's, and Mork would fit into Boulder life PERFECTLY.

Here, There be a Writer said...

I know what it's like to squeeze everything into what few hours I ca. I do Community Theatre; acting, directing, stage managing, writing too, it take up much of my time, but I love it, so I make time for the writing and the theatre. Anyway, hope your week improves. ~BIG INTERNET HUGS~

My favourite Robin Williams movie has to be "What Dreams May Come" and "Hook".

Beth Camp said...

How can we already be at the end of summer? Thank you for writing about Robin Williams, a great actor and an amazingly authentic person. My favorite will always be "Good Will Hunting" for the compassion shown by his character to Matt Damon's character. Now we know truly why Robin could bring so much depth to his acting.

Jo Michaels said...

My favorite of his movies was Hook. Gotta love RW as Peter Pan. :)

I haven't really wrapped my head around him being gone. It's not easy to deal with for me. I always feel so disconnected when it happens. :-/

Thanks for sharing. Tell the sister I said hello!

WRITE ON!