January 8, 2014

The More I Write, The Less I Have to Say: IWSG, Indie Life & ROW80

My mind is overflowing with ideas for my series (and another YA novel idea that I unfortunately I can't get to right now). By why is it that the more the creative juices flow in my writing, the less I feel I have to say in my blog posts. Have I just used up my words?

The same was true when I was rocking the blog posts... I wasn't finding time to write. And it's not just time, it's ideas. Every time I come up with a writerly blog post, it makes me want to jump over to Word and write more story.

I'm afraid I've run out of interesting things to say here. *GASP* It's a case of blog writer's block.

When blocked for a good blog post, what do you do?

I don't want to only blog when I'm inspired and leave my readers wondering when I'll make an appearance. I used to blog daily, but I'd love to settle into a consistent Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule. Any helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Or, just as good, blogged about.


*****

Today, I'm posting about my creative insecurities as part of IWSG, Indie Life, and ROW80. 

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (or IWSG) is a wonderful group put together by the amazing Alex J. Cavanaugh (which now has an equally cool Facebook group). It's the perfect opportunity to share my insecurities on the #IWSG therapy couch, get encouragement and support about such insecurities, and to read how other writers are faring. 

Oh, and it's also time for Indie Life (which is normally scheduled for the second Wednesday of the month while IWSG is normally the first).

What is Indie Life?

How: Sign up on the Linky at the bottom of this page
When: Post on the second Wednesday of the month (starting 1/9/2013)
What: Write anything indie related: something that will inspire or help a fellow indie; something that celebrates a release or a milestone; something that talks about the ups and downs, joys and heartaches of Being Indie.
Grab: The banner to include in your posts!


And, finally, Wednesdays are check in days for A Round of Words in 80 Days (ROW80). An update on my progress can be summed up in a few sentences.

First, I have been visiting more blogs and more active on social media the last few days. Balance will come in time. I have been playing a lot of catch up on blog posts and reviews these first couple of days of ROW80 since I'm still waiting on edits and beta thoughts on Chasing Shadows (some of the first came in yesterday). I've made some notes on Book 3 and the novella, and plan to start writing later today.

Wishing everyone well in their endeavors!

6 comments:

Tonja said...

When I run out of ideas for blog posts, I don't write posts.

For me blog posts are kind of a warm up to writing fiction for the day. So they go hand in hand - if I'm not blogging, I'm probably not writing at all.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Maybe setting a schedule of features? A theme that will prompt you.

krystal jane said...

I have to echo Alex's suggestion a bit. I keep about 25 posts handy at any given time in case I just think of anything at all that week. Whenever I'm writing, I get all these ideas for blog posts, so I make little notes and set them aside to expand upon later.

I also have certain things I want talk about every month, and if all else fails, I post an excerpt or some poetry, just so I don't leave the blog hanging for too long. Though if you really need to, it's okay to skip out a week. :)

Jo Michaels said...

Thought webs!! Start with a simple word like "writing" then branch from there into other words, then from there into other words. It's an endless supply of blog fodder :)

WRITE ON!

bookworm said...

I keep several "evergreen" posts in my drafts to use on days when there is no inspiration. Or, repeat a post. Why not? (I always mention it's a repeat - I figure, especially if it's an older post, my current readers haven't seen it.)

Anonymous said...

I can SO relate to this post. When I started my blog I knew there was no way I was going to be able to squeeze writing a blog everyday and continue writing my stories(as well as maintain a full time job and motherhood).

My stategy was to post twice a week. One post was to be a book recommendation and the other a blurb about me/life/writer/whatever. Sometimes I only get one post in a week, and I think that's okay. I always go back to my foundation of twice a week when I am able again.

I hope this helps.

Leanne ( http://readfaced.wordpress.com/ )