January 6, 2014

Goals for ROW80 Round One

Do you know what I did in the first few days of 2014?

Hopefully curiosity pulled you through to the next sentence... I sent Chasing Shadows (Tala Prophecy, Book 2) to my editor and a few beta readers. *squeals while dancing*

This excitement leads me to announcing my goals for Round One of A Round of Words in 80 Days (ROW80). For those who don't know about ROW80, it's the writing challenge that knows you have a life. To that end, participants set realistic goals and continually re-examine and adjust them in response to Life's machinations.

Round One Goals

* While waiting for beta comments and edits, I am going to write Chasing Forgiveness (Tala Prophecy, Book 2.5), a novella based on a character in Chasing Shadows. Hoping to join some #ROW80 wordsprints (2pm EST) for inspiration.

* Publish website.

* Put Depression Cookies on Smashwords (I'm embarrassed that I haven't done this yet).

* Increase my social media presence. The last quarter of 2013 left me struggling to find time to visit and comment on blogs and participate on Facebook and Twitter. Some of it was a lack of time, but a huge part was burnout. I hope to find a nice social media balance in 2014.

* Reach a minimum of 10,000 steps a day. I need to have an exercise goal. Since my husband got a Fit Bit for Christmas, I am making sure he and I achieve this minimum daily. I also plan to recommit to running and some Jillian Michaels tapes.

* A goal for the year: I heard about this challenge where you write a handwritten letter a week to someone who's important to you. I'm in (thanks for sharing the idea, Beth!). 

Wishing everyone good luck with their new goals! 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

First off, congratulations on the progress with Chasing Shadows!!!

I think I'm in the same boat as far as social media participation. It all gets overwhelming with so many other tasks to do. I'm hoping to get into a regular routine to focus my social time.

Good luck!

Stephsco said...

Thank you for explaining Row80. I see it all the time and knew the gist of it, but now I get what it means and the time frame. Lightbulb!

I love the idea of realistic goals. As for your social media, I think choosing one primary outlet for your main publicity is ultimately the best option. Say if it's twitter, you primarily connect there, and less often focus on facebook, tubmlr, pinterest etc. Doing everything will burn you out. Doing one thing well yields better results. Well, "results" meaning connecting with people in a genuine way. Kristen Lamb's blog discusses this regularly and I really agree with her outlook (here if you've never clicked over: http://warriorwriters.wordpress.com/)

J.R. Pearse Nelson said...

I love that you're adding a novella based on a character in one of your other books. That flexibility is so FUN! Have a great round, Tia! :)

Kathy said...

Congratulations on getting your book out to the editor and betas! *happy dances!* Good luck with your goals this time around!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on all you have achieved so far, Tia!

I am seeking that social media/life balance myself--if I figure anything out, I'll let you know!

I love the idea of handwritten letters. I called my dad last night, mentioning that I had sent him a letter (at 91, he does not do computers). He was so overjoyed, it struck me that I should write him regularly. I would love to add others to the mix, certainly. What a great idea!

Here's to a great Round One!
Elizabeth Anne Mitchell

Anonymous said...

Yay!

Good luck on your goals in the next round. :)

Jo Michaels said...

Rest easy! It's being taken good care of :) I'm still shooting for the same date I talked about. I'm looking forward to getting 2.5 also :) WOOHOO!

WRITE ON!