September 23, 2013

Banned Books Week

Earlier this month, I wrote a post about censorship: Banning is for Bullies. An excerpt:

I have read many of the above and most are considered classics. (Judy Blume may not be in the classics category for scholarly types, but she is for me!) Can you imagine life without these titles, and many more, just because some people found them offensive? Heck, I bet the vast majority of paranormal fiction would be eradicated for propagating evil.

At the end of the day, I think banning is for bullies. It's a way for people to try and force their opinion on others. And I don't like it.
 

If I had been more on top of my game, I would have known that Banned Books Week was just around the corner and saved the post for that. So please take a moment and pop over and read my thoughts.

For today, I am featuring a blog hop hosted by I Am A Reader, Not A Writer and Book Hounds. From I Am A Reader's website:


Announcing the 3rd Annual Banned Books Week Giveaway Hop
Hosted by BookHounds & I Am A Reader, Not A Writer
September 22nd to September 28th
Banned Books Week is an annual event celebrating the freedom to read.

Each blog on the hop is featuring a giveaway, so please check out the link here.

Also included on I Am A Reader's blog was a link to the top 10 challenged books for each year of the past decade: Frequently Challenged Books of the 21st Century. Some of them I found simply confounding. For example, in 2012, Captain Underpants was listed. Really!

Which book in the last two years did you find most surprising?

Hope everyone is having an amazing Monday!

1 comment:

Jo Michaels said...

Is it crazy that I really want to see my book on one of those lists? LOL! I want it to be challenged because it doesn't fall into the "norm" of literature and shows people the other side of the story. Perhaps, for some of the scenes that I hope feel so realistic to the reader, they identify and it scares them. :)

Win! haha

Great post, Tia! WRITE ON!