September 4, 2012

Peering into the Soul's Window

Today's BlogHer prompt: When you are speaking with someone, do you prefer to look them in the eye or talk over the phone?

This month I'm participating in BlogHer's daily blog challenge with an eye theme. My goal for the month is to reveal myself through honest answers. After all, what's the point of having a month of inner reflection without honesty?

I prefer to look people in the eye when I want to talk to them about something important. If it's a happy topic, I want to see their excitement and joy. If it's a truly sad moment, I want to be there to comfort them, although seeing sadness is always difficult.

So much more is conveyed in a real conversation (body language, facial expressions) than can ever be conveyed over a phone. When it comes to my family and friends, I always prefer in person but sadly have to often settle for the phone.

But there are just those times you need a phone. If someone's trying to sell me oceanfront property in Tennessee, give me a phone and an off button. Or a cell phone with really bad reception.

In our society, too often we use phones to hide away and avoid personal interaction. Even then, we don't talk to people. We email, we text, we update our Facebook status... okay, we even blog. Communities and relationships are stronger when people focus on personal conversations and not just quick communications through technology.

At the end of the day, if eyes are truly the window to the soul, why would you ever want anything less than to gaze into them?

2 comments:

Jo Michaels said...

Some people don't want anyone to see their soul. Maybe because their soul is dark... I have no answer to that. But you can see a person's true intentions and heart through their eyes. Cold people have a very flat look in their eyes. You know who to trust and who to avoid if they look you in the face. I'm reminded of American Indian tales when I think of what's in the eyes. Dangerous ground, eh? :) Great post today. WRITE ON!

Tia Bach said...

Jo, So true. Looking too deeply into someone's eyes can reveal more than you ever wanted to know. Thanks for always stopping by and sharing. It means the world to me!