September 26, 2012

Chewing Gum for the Eyes

I loved BlogHer's "Eye" prompt today...

Frank Lloyd Wright said, "TV is chewing gum for the eyes." What are your favorite shows to chew?

First of all, I love that quote. I am such a chewing gum fan, so this spoke to me. I don't have much free time for TV, and I have a horrible memory for what shows are on when. DVR has helped me, but time hasn't cooperated. Sometimes, I will have five or six episodes recorded and give up.

But I have a few shows I'm addicted to, some guilty pleasures, and some shows I wish I was cool enough to love.

My Favorite Shows Last Season

Castle - Big Fan of Nathan Fillon. He drew me to the show initially, but the will-they-or-won't-they dynamic keeps me coming back. (The first episode this season did not disappoint!)

Once Upon a Time - My girls and I watch this together. Love the concept of fairy tale characters living in the modern day with a curse that makes them forget who they are. Such fun.

Pawn Stars - I don't know what it is I love about this show, because normally I avoid the History Channel like the plague, but it's charming and interesting.

Chopped - When in doubt, I turn on Food Network. It's easy on the eyes and stomach!

Guilty Pleasures


Ian Somerhalder (Source)
Vampire Diaries - I never read the books, but have you seen Ian Somerhalder? Enough said. I'm pulling for the bad guy!

So You Think You Can Dance - In my mind, I'm matching them move for move. In reality, I'm a dork.

The Voice - Growing weary of American Idol, I gave this a try and really enjoyed it. I don't love it enough to DVR it, but it's an easy catch-on-the-fly kind of show.

New Fall Shows I'm Looking Forward To

Nashville - I'm a big fan of country music, and this looks like wicked fun.

Elementary - I love the concept of a modern-day Sherlock Holmes accompanied by a female Watson. I've already set my DVR to record this.

Wish I was Cool Enough to Watch

Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
Sons of Anarchy

But I'm a big sissy and prefer my TV shows to be light. I used to be a huge fan of the 30-minute comedy show, but I haven't seen one in awhile that made me want to record it.

Am I missing something? What's your favorite chewing gum for the eyes?

4 comments:

Jo Michaels said...

I loved Once Upon a Time but, alas, finances demanded that I let something go and TV was the easiest and most financially intelligent. I don't really miss it anymore. More time to read, write, and cuddle with The Best Boyfriend in the World :) Plus, with redbox, my entertainment cost has dropped to just $8 a month from $200 :) woohoo! Great post today. WRITE ON!

Julie Glover said...

I love Castle too. I love the characters on the show and the unfolding of the cases.

As to 30-minute shows, I used to say Big Bang Theory, but lately I'm thinking that Raising Hope is the best sitcom on TV. I often laugh out loud, and Martha Plimpton deserves an Emmy.

Wendy Jane said...

Very fun post! I'm bad about getting hooked on TV shows. I have too many favorites to list. But my latest fix (since we don't have cable/satellite/commercial television) is finding a series on Netflix. The bad side to that is I don't have to wait a week to follow up cliff hangers. That means I tend to spend more time than intended in front of the TV. Thus, I limit myself to one series at a time. Once Upon a Time and Castle have always been on my LOVE list. Great stories and amazing casts.

Tia Bach said...

Jo, I've never tried Red Box. I was a Netflix failure (once had the same movie for 6 months), so I haven't tried any new movie services.

Julie, I like the writer slant to Castle, I must admit. Hmm. I haven't seen Raising Hope. I'll have to try that one.

Wendy, You should check out my post today. It's about my teenage celebrity crushes and which ones aged well (and which ones didn't). Granted, these are 80s celebs. As I mentioned above, I'm a Netflix failure. ;-(

Thanks for stopping by, ladies!