I'm not adventurous when it comes to food. I like what I like, and I only try things when others insist it's wonderful. Even then, I hesitate. But with tapas, you can try samplings of new food without the cost commitment or going hungry.
So, it got this pantser to thinking. I find a traditional outline difficult, it's too much commitment without feeling the flow of the story as it develops, but I can write down samplings of plot developments I'd like to see happen in the story. I pulled out a pack of note cards, ones I bought for my daughter to use when studying.
Then I proceeded to pack my NaNo bag.
A NaNo bag?
Yes, this is the OCD side of me (how that works with being a pantser, I'll leave to you to figure out). I have been summoned to my first ever jury selection process tomorrow. Yes, I'm 40, but I've moved so often this is the first time a state discovered my residency before I left. Well played, Maryland. Well played. (We moved here 11/10.)
Back to my NaNo bag. I decided to have my writing laptop (a wonderful 40th birthday gift from hubby) in a bag with my note cards, pens, pencils, and a steno pad. For tomorrow, it's my get-things-done-at-court bag. But during NaNo, it'll be the bag I grab as I head out the door each morning to hit Starbucks early. I realize that's the only way I'll be getting even close to 50,000 words done. No distractions.
I'm excited to try out my new tapas-style writing (note cards) and NaNo bag during my jury selection day tomorrow.
What would be in your writing bag?
A Round of Words in 80 Days (ROW80) Update
- Planning for Chasing Memories, my NaNo piece ----> I started detailing plot ideas on the note cards. I have five detailed note cards so far. Each notecard ends up roughly being a chapter, so I'd like to do five more by Wednesday.
- Make a character list for Chasing Memories ----> I'm making note of characters and names within the note cards so far. I'll transfer them to one list before November 1.
- Prewrite two blog posts for November ----> I didn't even write a Fascinating Friday post. Well, I did, but I forgot to publish it, so I saved it for November. That's cheating, and I still only have one post ready for November. I hope to have one more by Wednesday.
- Edit three chapters on BT, to get ahead on my editing schedule ----> Done, plus an extra chapter. I need to get four more done this week and two chapters done on another editing project. All by Wednesday. Feeling the pressure.
- Spend 30-45 minutes each day exploring the NaNo site ----> Fell behind on this the last few days. Hope to catch up before November 1.