October 14, 2015

Meet Some UtopYA2015 Lovelies (Unofficial) : Tricia Copeland


Please welcome the final guest in my Meet Some UtopYA2015 Lovelies (Unofficial) series. I’ve known Tricia for seven years. We both moved to Colorado at the same time and our kids are close in age. I’ve since moved twice, but we’ve stayed dear friends.

A couple of years ago, she decided to write a book. I saw very early versions and encouraged her to keep going. Then, I edited her debut through Indie Books Gone Wild. I’m so proud of her!

Welcome, my friend.

TC: Thank you, Tia. I’m so excited to have the opportunity to meet your blog readers!

When did you know you wanted to write a book?

TC: In 2008, I began writing Is This Me? It was the year of my 20th high school reunion and I was in a reflective mood. I wanted to bestow upon my daughter all the knowledge that I had gained.

High school reunions can do that! So, give us your elevator pitch for Is This Me?, a clean new adult contemporary novel?

TC: Is This Me? is a about a college co-ed named Amanda. The story is told from Amanda’s perspective and gives a raw and uncensored view into her life at a very pivotal point. Amanda has her future all mapped out but quickly learns she is in control of very little.


 How much of your personal experiences did you use when writing your debut novel? How much is the main character, Amanda, like you?

TC: My husband just started reading the book. The first thing he said was: “I know why she has small feet!” Unlike Amanda, I have large feet. Like Amanda, I had my major, classes, job--my whole life--all planned out at eighteen.

Me, too! If I Could Fly, book two in the Being Me series, will be released later this fall. Can you give us a sneak peek?

TC: Yes, I am so excited for the release of If I Could Fly on Nov. 16 with preorders available Nov. 2! In this book, Amanda’s challenge is centered around dealing with how her mom and dad react to her choices. As a young adult she is trying to create an identity and shape her future. Unfortunately, many of her ideas aren’t popular with her parents.

I'm so excited for the release. It really builds on the emotions in your first book. Since we’ve been friends, we ran our first half marathon together and are now both published authors. What should our next adventure be?

TC: That is a great question! I think we should make a movie!

A movie! Wow. Guess we better get on that. So, I've been asking all the lovelies... what is your favorite inspirational quote? Why?

TC: I was so moved by the UtopYA 2015keynote speech by Kim Holden, author of Bright Side. Her Bright Side motto is “do epic” which means to just do the best you can each and every day.

In a business master mind group one morning, I was asked at what point I would give up or stop publishing the four novels of the “Being Me” series. Of course from a business perspective, it would make sense to stop if the books aren’t profitable. The question really caught me off guard, though. My first thought was never, because the books have to be written and published for me to feel complete. No matter the success of them, it’s what I feel I should be doing.

The journey that I started in 2008 has led me to acquire so many talents and make so many connections that I wouldn’t have made otherwise. After hearing Kim Holden’s talk at UtopYA 2015 in June, I revised her motto to fit my vision. This motto is “Being me, doing epic” which reminds me to be brave enough to follow my passion.

What do you think makes UtopYA, renamed Utopia for its fifth year in 2016, so special?

TC: UtopYA 2015 is the first writer’s conference I attended. What made it special for me, and I think for others, is that it brings together a group of writers who really are already an on-line community. It was great to meet in person people like Jo Michaels, who formatted my book, but I had only corresponded with via phone or email.

A favorite photo from UtopYA2015 (at the awesome movie premiere night).

Tricia with Kelly Martin & me

✮ Quick Answers  

Last Movie you Saw: Ant Man
Comedy, Romance, Drama, or Horror? Comedy, preferably romantic comedy
Last Book you Read: A Shade of Blood, Book 2 of the Shade of Forrest series by Bella Forrest
First Job: cashier at a fast food restaurant
Gift cards or Cash? Gift cards
Favorite Vacation Spot: Maui

More about Tricia

Tricia Copeland grew up and attended college in Georgia. After graduating from a master’s program, she moved to Pennsylvania where she worked as a research scientist. After nine years, she and her husband moved their family—one daughter, twin boys, and dog Jake—to Colorado. Her first published title, Is This Me?, was released in May 2015 and is available in paperback or Kindle formats through Amazon. 

The second book of the Being Me series, If I Could Fly, will be available November 16. If she’s not on a trail, you can find Tricia at www.triciacopeland.com, on Facebook, Instagram, Google+, Pinterest, or Twitter.


Follow this link to buy on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YIABVKG



Please visit often for more UtopYA2015 Lovelies (Unofficial) interviews, 
and check out the announcement post to see
the schedule and links to past interviews.

1 comment:

Jo Michaels said...

Super duuuuuper interview, ladies! :) Yes, let's make a movie! :D LOL