November 5, 2014

When It All Comes Flooding Back: #IWSG

The Insecure Writer's Support Group (or IWSG) is a wonderful group put together by the amazing Alex J. Cavanaugh (which now has an equally cool Facebook group). 

The first Wednesday of each month is the perfect opportunity to share my insecurities on the #IWSG therapy couch, get encouragement and support about such insecurities, and to read how other writers are faring. 


It's NaNo time again!

This will mark my third year as a participant. Both previous years, I came out a winner and ended up months later publishing the manuscripts (after several rounds of edits).

So, I know I can do it. 

Still, every single time I open up to a blank page, the same worries and insecurities come flooding back. I should be able to push them back, but I find they become more intense the longer I write.

Can I still craft an interesting story readers will be drawn to?

Will the ideas keep coming and the characters continue to speak to me?

What if readers who loved the first two books are disappointed?

Then, the biggest one hits.

What do I do now that I'm finishing this series?

Eek! In part, I appreciate the fears because they remind me how passionate I am about writing. I never want to be on auto-pilot, just pumping stuff out because I can. So, all in all, I think this keeps me on my toes. 

So, maybe insecurities are a good thing. 

Thoughts?

5 comments:

Stephsco said...

I'm having all the same insecurities! Nano is both wonderful and nervewracking.

cheerfuloptimistic said...

Autopilot can result in disaster. So while the insecurities can suck, they can help too. Good luck.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Use those fears to motivate you to do the best you can. Good luck!

Chrys Fey said...

Yay for completing NaNo two years in a row and good luck with this year. :)

Jo Michaels said...

You start on that super secret project no one knows about. ;)

You know, the one you've had on a post-it forever?

WRITE ON!