March 12, 2014

Life in the Shadows: ROW80

I wear a cloak of invisibility, in part thanks to fate but also because of my personality (and insecurity). I don't like to be the center of attention. Growing up, I was always the new kid. The last thing I wanted was to publicize it. So I found ways to roam around the edges of social situations. I still do. I'm good at it.

Source
In school, I was the kid who avoided public speaking at all costs. Still do if possible. Even when I knew the answer in class, I raised my hand halfway. I wanted the teacher to see I tried (and had the answer), but I didn't want to be called on. 

The other benefit to life in the shadows: it made the inevitable leaving easier.

Unfortunately, these are not great qualities for marketing. 

At first, I liked Facebook and Twitter.  There I could be social without coming into the light fully. But it is also an easy place to lurk. I love to support other authors, but I find it incredibly difficult to ask for help in return. I hate promoting myself. I'm always worried people will either get annoyed or, just as bad, find me uninteresting.

I'm edging into the light, pushing back the cloak carefully. It's unsettling, but I need to find a balance. I've worked too hard on these books!

Funny, the title of my newest book feels very revealing lately. I'm chasing shadows.

*****


My five senses are engaged and edits are underway for Chasing Shadows. Edits energize me. I saw this quote on Facebook...

"The first draft is just you telling yourself the story." Terry Pratchett

So true! Editing takes my story to another level, and I'm so grateful for my editor. Love ya, Jo!

2 comments:

Jo Michaels said...

*takes a bow*

You're welcome. Glad to kick you into high gear over there :P hehe

Rah, rah, ree
Kick 'em in the knee!
Rah, rah, rass
Kick 'em in... the other knee!

Just cheering for you. WRITE ON!

alberta ross said...

Welcome to the club:) my biggest problem on marketing - in life I'm content with shadows but the books do not have legs - so. . .

you can do it - sunshine is fine and warm:)