March 2, 2012

Celebrating Dr. Seuss & Read Across America Day

It's Dr. Seuss and Read Across America Day!

According to Wikipedia: Theodor Seuss Geisel was an American writer, poet, and cartoonist most widely known for his children’s books written under the pen names Dr. Seuss, Theo LeSieg and, in one case, Rosetta Stone.

Geisel's birthday, March 2, has been adopted as the annual date for National Read Across America Day, an initiative on reading created by the National Education Association.

I love Dr. Seuss. Always have.


My daughters and I are celebrating today! First, each daughter will pick their favorite Dr. Seuss book for a Bach read-a-thon (they only have a half day of school today). Then we are going to see The Lorax.


Find some time today to appreciate Seuss and reading in general!

*****

I wanted to show a little Seuss love by sharing an earlier Seuss post.

From my 11/9/11 post.

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"
 
In a moment of creativity . . .  I wrote this little diddy with Dr. Seuss still in my head:

Come on, life, throw at me what you will.
My bat is ready and with it my skill.
I will focus on the words and my story to tell.
All of your attempts to stop me, well, they can go to hell.

*****

What's your favorite Seuss book?

7 comments:

Jennie Bennett said...

My local library is doing a craft and showing old Dr. Suess cartoons and I'm totally taking my kids :)

Tia Bach said...

I should check out my library, too. Great idea. Have a Seussical day, J.A. (I can't help myself with the rhyming today!). ;-)

Eloise said...

Horton hears a Who. Hands down. Love the smiley elephant... Dr. Suess was wonderful. He showed that any creature, no matter what he/she looked like, could be kind.

bookworm said...

I loved to read Dr. Seuss to my son, who is now an adult. The Cat in the Hat, The Lorax, Yertle the Turtle. How did you like The Lorax movie? I'm so afraid of another Seuss adaptation disaster like the 2000 movie How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Julie Glover said...

LOVE Dr. Seuss. My favorite story growing up was Gerald McBoing-Boing, which I think was written under his real name, Theodor Geisel. Now my favorite may be Horton Hatches the Egg. Beautiful sentiment.

Tia Bach said...

Eloise, My kids Oh Say Can You Say, but it trips me up so badly! ;-)

Alana, I loved The Lorax. It was visually stunning and had some fun songs, etc. They took some liberty with the new town everyone lived in, but I thought it added. A lot of the story was true. My kids all loved it. Even the preteen who was grumbling going there.

Julie, I've never heard of the Gerald one. I'll have to get my hands on that one.

Thanks for all the comments. I hope everyone found some Suess-like fun in their day!

Anonymous said...

And to Think that I Saw It on Mulberry Street. I used to love grabbing that off the shelves of the library in third grade. I'm way too old to remember the Cat, but did a review of the Grinch DVD last December.