April 3, 2014

Uncloaking Concerns: IWSG


The Insecure Writer's Support Group (or IWSG) is a wonderful group put together by the amazing Alex J. Cavanaugh (which now has an equally cool Facebook group). 

The first Wednesday of each month is the perfect opportunity to share my insecurities on the #IWSG therapy couch, get encouragement and support about such insecurities, and to read how other writers are faring. 
In June, I am attending UtopYA in Nashville, Tennessee. While I am uber-excited about meeting so many of the amazing writers I have come to know through the Internet, I am also terrified to push back the cloak of invisibility I wear so well.
I have only attended two writer's conferences. For one, I knew absolutely nobody and truly went to learn from panels, classes, and agents. For another, I knew friends and family. For both, I only had one book out and it was women's fiction.
YA is for fun, hip, and interesting people--or at least they all seem that way to me. According to my three daughters, I am most surely not hip and may only qualify as fun and interesting on rare occasions.
I just hope I can get past the nervousness and let people see the real me--someone who loves everything about creating characters and breathing life into them.
Any tips on how to relax and just have fun? How not to be overly self-conscious?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there, Tia! Congratulations on getting yourself out there. You've conquered the biggest hurdle. Once you're there, just be yourself; I'm sure everyone will find you to be interesting and 'cool'. :) Don't let self-doubt eat away at your confidence. I know sometimes it's easier said than done, but once you're in the midst of fellow writers, I'm sure you'll find many that felt the same way you feel right now. Good luck to you. Lily-Eva IWSG Co-host

Dawn Allen said...

I hoped to attend UtopYA last year and was unable to. Have it on my goal this year. We'll see. I hope we meet up.

Melissa said...

I'd be nervous, too. I have a love-hate thing with social gatherings. But I'm sure you'll do fine. I've seen several posts by authors lately (Natasha Hanova, Julie Flanders, Loni Townsend)--those who were nervous about things like this--and everything went swimmingly well for them.

It's good to 'see' you again. The push to publish has kept me from making the blog rounds like I used to. Boo-hiss. :P

I just sent my ms off to the formatter. If you want to swap blog promo for our upcoming releases, look me up. :)

krystal jane said...

I signed up and now I almost wish I hadn't. I'm nervous, too. On one hand, you're a writer and we're all a little weird and normal and crazy at the same time. You'll be around your own kind this summer! And that's exciting. On the other hand, when I think about myself, I'm scared to death. I feel like a fraud most of the time, I have no books out, I'm quite socially awkward, and I'm going all by myself. I feel like everyone going already has a buddy to meet up with and it'll be painful and awful.

I understand. One thing I know for certain though, paranormal writers are fun, fun people. So how can we not have fun?

Natasha Hanova said...

Hi Tia! I'll be at UTOPYA in June, too. Looking forward to meeting you. I'm a lot like you. I don't feel fun or hip. I think becoming a mom knocked some of the 'fun' out of me. Now, I'm all about 'is it safe' and 'is it practical.'

Remember, we are all just regular people. I attended UTOPYA last year. You couldn't ask for a more welcoming group of people.

See you in June!

p.s. Thanks for the shout out Melissa!

Christina Mitchell said...

I'd say bring a friend. Its the easiest way. Otherwise, I've got nothing. I'm scared of crowds and I'm going to a Writer's Rally next weekend and I'm nervous too. I've been to it before and I still get panick-y. Breath deep and own how brave you are to go! Wish I had better advice :)

Tia Bach said...

Lilica - Thanks. I'm looking forward to meeting people in person. It really is about breathing and holding the insecurity monster at bay, isn't it?

Dawn -- I hope to meet you there!

Melissa -- I agree about the love-hate. Glad to know others who were nervous did well. I, too, have fallen behind on blog reading and commenting. I'll get in touch re: mutual marketing. ;-)

Krystal -- Find me, Krystal. We can be nervous together!! We'll definitely find the fun.

Natasha -- Yeah! Someone else to hang out with. So understand the mom-ness. ;-)

Christina -- I did grab a buddy (one I love and am so looking forward to meeting in person) to go with, so I will have a comfort zone.

Thanks to all for stopping by and commenting.

Jo Michaels said...

Yeah! Bring a friend :) hehe

I can't wait to meet you face to face! We're gonna have SOOOOO much fun and get to talk BOOKS!

What's there to be nervous about? :)

WRITE ON!

Tia Bach said...

Jo -- Why do you think I so quickly sent you all the info about UtopYA?!? ;-)