April 14, 2014

Mothering Characters: ROW80 Update

My oldest daughter and I went away this weekend to bond. I realized things had changed in the last two years. I went from wondering when I'd ever have a moment where she didn't need me constantly to wondering where she was hiding in the house. I missed her, especially when I realized she would be heading off to college in four and a half years.

So I came up with an idea to go on a trip of interest to her. I've let her lead the weekend and given in to her interests and wants, even when I didn't particularly want to. Two examples: I got a henna tattoo--I was told the symbol means mother, and I'm hoping it really does--and fed a squid to a creepy-looking moray eel.

 

As a mom, I have become more careful and more carefree. I make more practical decisions and consider my kids in everything I do, but I also get to act young and embrace experiences with them. It's so much like creating characters. I have to make sure they are well-crafted with the right plot opportunities, but I also have to give myself over to them for the sake of story.

Just another reason I love being a writer (and a mother)... getting to see life through another set of eyes. What a gift.

*****

Time for another A Round of Words in 80 Days (ROW80) update.

Waiting to get the final edits back for Chasing Shadows and still struggling with Acknowledgements. I am simply so blessed with influential people.

I took off a couple of days with my daughter, so I'll be back to marketing efforts and writing tomorrow.

Hope everyone is finding time to both be structured and to let go.

3 comments:

krystal jane said...

I've had some fun vacations with my mom. ^_^

Jo Michaels said...

Awwww how awesome is that? You're gonna miss her when she leaves for college for sure. But it sounds like you two have a strong relationship. My eldest left last fall for the military. I totally feel you. Well, now you have those edits back :) Let's get this thing done!

WRITE ON!

Tia Bach said...

Me, too, Krystal -- making memories, it's what it's all about. ;-)

Jo -- I miss her when she doesn't talk to me for hours, so college -- eek!