October 24, 2013

More Questions than Answers: ROW80

A very late Wednesday post for me.

My goal for the rest of this month is to do as much prep work as I can before November's NaNoWriMo. That includes pre-writing some posts and getting my commitments in order (I spent four hours yesterday weeding through emails and answering as necessary) in addition to writing down story ideas for my NaNo project.

I am a pantser. I'm okay with that, but it makes prep work difficult. Instead of outlining, I decided to just bullet point events I wanted to happen.

But then I ended up with more questions than answers.

I'd write down a plot point and then my mind would explode with...

If A happens, then B is affected and C makes no sense so D must happen before A and then Z might change.

To say the least, my brain is fried.

For now, I'm trying to make note of any questions that arise, and then deal with them as I'm writing--which is how I deal with plot issues/questions.

Any other suggestions for dealing with the mind-blowing questions?

I'll do a more thorough A Round of Words in 80 Days (ROW80) check in on Monday. But I'm hoping all my ROW80 and NaNo buddies are getting along well.

Oh, and I would love more NaNo buddies. Find me here.

3 comments:

krystal jane said...

Good luck with the preplanning! I know that fried brain feeling. I hope yours doesn't last too long.

I don't know how I answer questions, but I keep a composition book by me at ALL times when I'm drafting (this includes when I'm sleeping) - it keeps it on the back of my brain and sometimes random answers will come to be during the day and I can jot it down right quick. Two days ago I figured out my ending. Yay!

I can't wait for it to start!

Jo Michaels said...

Yes, I have suggestions! :)
Write your chapter numbers and under each one write out what you think should happen in each one in two or three sentences. As you plod along through them, you can go back and add to chapter 2 if you think of something when plotting chapter 12 that should occur before. When you start writing, use it as a guide only. If the story wants to take a different direction, let it.
That's the only way to have an idea of where you're going while keeping the flow organic. Don't force your characters to follow your outline, but have a vague idea of where you want the story to go. What happens between point A (the beginning) and point B (the end) doesn't really matter as long as everything is there, right?
Don't worry about chapter tension or how to format dialogue. Just get the story down. We'll tweak it as we need to.
When I started writing The Bird, Lerion The Magnificent was a good guy and Bordash Bladeslinger was a bad guy (that's the way I planned it out). During the writing process, they told me things about themselves with their actions which led me to the conclusion I came to. I realized I couldn't tell them who they were; they were already created in their own world. I was just there to write it down.
Remember, if it surprises you, it'll shock the hell out of your readers. You know your characters inside and out. Let them tell you where the story is going; but, give them a guide to begin their journey.
A guide; not a map. :)
I hope this helps :)
Many hugs, Tia. We'll get 'er done! WRITE ON!

Shah Wharton said...

You're just like me, Tia. I so badly want to be the organised plotter, the kind who plots using intricately detailed scene-plans. Each scene a perfect, pre-planned, tightly organised work of art. Instead, I drive myself mad trying, then write it how it comes. But I know the re-writes would be so much easier if I did more pre-planning. *Groan. We are how we are. :) Best of luck with the mind-blowing questions.

http://iurl.no/36101