July 16, 2012

Summer Hodgepodge: ROW80 Update

Again I missed my A Round of Words in 80 Days Sunday check in post. But I have a great reason. I'm finding balance. Finally.

It's summer, and it will be over before I know it. I'm managing writing time, but it's planned around family and friends.

Family

My daughters had three swim meets in the last week. I am so proud of how they always give it their all. This summer was the first swim season for my 7-year-old, and she was quite proud of herself after winning her heat in the 25 Free.

Friends

Then Saturday I hosted a dear friend, someone I now consider a member of my family... Elise Fallson. Elise is a wonderful writer, blogger, mom, and all-around great gal. I met her through my mother, and we bonded right away. She stayed with me Saturday night, along with her two adorable children and lovely mother, before she headed back home to France after a three-week US tour of family and friends.

Elise and I only met about a year and a half ago, and we met online. She read my novel, I'm reading the drafts of hers (SO excited to see it come out!), and I coaxed her into the wonderful online writing community. Check out her blog, Elise Fallson.

We stayed up way too late Saturday night talking about writing and the storylines we are working on. I was in heaven. Missing you already, Elise! Guess it's my turn to come see you.

I think I should start a new group: Women's Writing Slumber Parties. We could gather in a central location for the most fun. Otherwise, we start a twitter party at 10pm and all chat about our characters, stories, frustrations, victories, love of words, and so on until the wee hours of the morning.

*****

Are You a Mom Who Writes?

The lovely Annette Gendler features guest posts for a Moms Who Write series. I met Annette during last year's WordCount Blogathon and felt a connection to her and her blog right away.

Today, she features my guest post about writing and balance. Please check it out: Have Laptop Will Travel.

*****

A day late...

A Round of Words in 80 Days (ROW80) Update

Where I've found balance... in prioritizing. My family comes first, but right after comes working on my WIP. Then it trickles to editing, blog, etc.

Writing: I spent at least 30 minutes, my test mile, working on my WIP Wednesday through Saturday, with Sunday off. I spent 45 minutes on Friday writing up notes and character details for Sherry's Tale (so a working title).

Editing: I'm determined to finish up on four lovely short stories. Another blogger and friend I look forward to talking about... Eloise Currie. Her works are destined for a short story collection. I might be able to convince her to write a novel one of these days, too!

Blogging: I missed Sunday, but I'm keeping steady with blogging Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays.

Social Media: Behind. Weekends are fast becoming family time. I like this new system. I'm thinking I should treat writing like a work week. Monday through Friday, with weekends off. Hmmm. But I can't help squeezing in some blog reading!

Reading: I've been on a roll with good books, and I'm blogging about it. Reviews are coming fast and furious at Mom in Love with Fiction. Check it out when you get a chance.

One last bit of fun


My girls after a trip to the American Girl Store,
enjoying a Lego Woody (during a trip to Chicago).

5 comments:

Annette Gendler said...

Tia, I love the slumber party idea! Thanks for sharing your insights on managing your busy family life and still writing on my blog today!

Elise Fallson said...

I'm so grateful we've connected. Thank you so much Tia! Not only do I get to share my writing with such an awesome writer and author, but I also gained a great friend.(: I'm so excited about your new storyline and can't wait to see the sequel for Depression Cookies come out! It was a treat seeing you again and meeting your beautiful family, hope you can join us on the other side of the Atlantic some day. (:

Jo Michaels said...

It's good to see you falling into a rhythm, Tia! I think a skype slumber party would be more fun :) Pajamas and clips in the hair and all that LOL!! WRITE ON!

Tia Bach said...

Annette, Thanks for having me. Still bummed I missed seeing you in Chicago!

Elise, I'd love to come that way. Plus I still need to meet your hubby. ;-)

Jo, Skype Slumber Party. I love it.

Georgina Morales said...

That Slumber Party for writers sounds awesome. Count me in! Good luck with the summer fun and a little writing. I'm trying my best to get some work done, but I'm also truly enjoying the time with my girls. =)