June 8, 2012

Ray Bradbury: Fun Facts Friday

From Wikipedia
Rest in peace, Ray Bradbury.

This week Ray Bradbury passed away at 91. According to the LA Times: Author of more than 27 novels and story collections—most famously "The Martian Chronicles," "Fahrenheit 451," "Dandelion Wine" and "Something Wicked This Way Comes"—and more than 600 short stories, Bradbury has frequently been credited with elevating the often-maligned reputation of science fiction. Some say he singlehandedly helped to move the genre into the realm of literature. (Source: LA Times Online)

From Wikipedia
Although I haven't read any Bradbury, something I plan to remedy, I was completely freaked out by the movie adaption of his Something Wicked This Way Comes. With his passing, I wanted to devote my Fun Facts Friday segment to him.

First some quotes...

Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things.

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

If we listened to our intellect, we'd never have a love affair. We'd never have a friendship. We'd never go into business, because we'd be cynical. Well, that's nonsense. You've got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down.

Just from the quotes alone, I am a fan. I needed to read all of these when I was writing my post, My Monster Rises. He's right... we should all dedicate ourselves to what we love, and then not let anyone or anything stop us.
 
Some interesting facts about Ray Bradbury

1. His distant relative, Mary Bradbury, was tried as a witch and burned at the stake in Salem, Massachusetts.
2. He won the Pulitzer Prize.
3. He and his wife, Maggie, had four daughters.
4. He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
5. He had a lifelong habit of writing every day.
6. He died on the same day as the rare transit of Venus.

The last one struck me, especially for a science fiction writer.

Of the above facts and quotes, which speaks to you the most?

6 comments:

Mina Burrows said...

I can so relate to this one: “Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things.”

RIP to Ray.

R Chazz Chute said...

I read somewhere that, after witnessing a car accident as a 14-year-old, he never drove a car. Ironic. Kind of sweet.

Tia Bach said...

Mina, Me, too. I saw that and wanted it written on my forehead so I could see it everytime I looked in the mirror. But then it would have to be backwards... ;-)

R. Chazz, Interesting. I hadn't heard that one. Thanks for sharing.

Elise Fallson said...

Ray Bradbury is one of my favorite authors. His descriptions and stories-amazing. He will be missed.

Jo Michaels said...

This one screamed at me:

“You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.”

because I oftentimes take flak for living with my head in the clouds. What people fail to realize is, that is part of who I am. If they don't like it, they are free to GO. I will not change who I am or how I think because I would lose the craft I love.

Excellent post! WRITE ON!

Tia Bach said...

Elise, I really need to read him now!

Jo, Me, too. Drunk on writing. Perfect. As long as I'm not sick after. ;-)